please tell me how to get rid of moss on the roof

(8 Posts)
mountaintoclimb Thu 14-Apr-16 14:57:03

It's falling down all over our patio and looks dreadful. Is there a way of removing it without paying someone shedloads of money?

PigletJohn Thu 14-Apr-16 18:57:27

don't have it blasted or brushed off, that erodes the surface of the tiles and shortens their life.

I have heard that copper tape (as used for lightening conductors) along the ridge will work. Small amounts of copper salts dissolve in rainwater and run down the roof. However, every time a roofer puts a ladder on your roof, or stands on it, be breaks more tiles, so they last best if left alone. Mossy roofs are also very slippery so dangerous to work on.

Flat roofers used to apply a chemical called Armatillox to kill moss, but I believe its chemical safety licence has now expired.

Some nice smokey factory chimneys would kill it.

evrybuddy Thu 14-Apr-16 19:05:07

We have the same problem. A roof chap fixing some broken tiles quoted £300 - £400 to brush off a modest size roof.

I've got some standard weedkiller from B&Q which I've used to kill ground/path moss and will spray the roof with it when the weather's consistently dryer - apparently that encourages the moss to absorb the weedkiller - hopefully it will gradually fall off...

wizzywig Thu 14-Apr-16 19:07:00

I was quoted £900 to clear it off a house and garage roof

evrybuddy Thu 14-Apr-16 19:08:46

Wow!

mountaintoclimb Thu 14-Apr-16 19:59:39

Wizzy that's worrying. I have a few roofers coming to quote so will soon find out

SquinkiesRule Thu 14-Apr-16 21:24:34

Dh wanted to run a thin copper wire along our roof ridge to sto it re growing, so far I haven't let him go up there he needs to buy a ladder still he'll probably break his neck.
He got it off with a contraption he made with a long pole, brushed and scraped the lot while standing on the patio, it looks a lot better, but it's only single story dorma bungalow.

SquirrelledAway Fri 15-Apr-16 12:40:27

You might want to read this advice from the National Federation of Roofing Contractors.

Marley (tile manufacturers) recommends scraping moss off or using copper wire (link here).

Our neighbours had theirs pressure washed - makes a hell of a mess and I don't think it did their tiles much good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now