London property gurus - please suggest somewhere for my parents to look to live in London!

(9 Posts)
dinkystinky Wed 13-Apr-16 11:54:45

Hi - my retired parents want to move to London - budget is 700,000 to 800,000.

Both my sister and I live in North West London, NW6 for me and N6 for my sister. We bought quite a while ago and my parents' budget wouldn't afford more than a 2 bed flat in our areas given the crazy house prices. Its been ages since I last househunted and had a very specific area for commute time setting my search - my parents don't have that and have v different criteria so am at a bit of a loss.

So, their criteria is
- ideally detached house with off street parking and garden - they'd ideally like a 3 bed with a decent sized kitchen or kitchen and separate dining room
- garage would be a bonus
- safe family neighbourhood with good gp practices/access to hospital (should anything happen to either of them)
- shops nearby
- buses into central London, access to tube link (ideally northern line so they can get to my sister easily or into Euston then out to me on overground)

I was thinking maybe North Finchley way or Barnet - any other ideas? And any top tips on areas for 2 little pensioners to avoid?

Wombat87 Wed 13-Apr-16 12:04:05

Haringey is nice, Hampstead near the Heath?

minipie Wed 13-Apr-16 13:23:58

With that budget, two N London daughters and wanting a 3 bed house, ideally detached, it really means the places round the edge of the North Circular. So Wembley, Edgware, Brent, Barnet, Enfield, Southgate.

I have no idea what these areas area like though - over to others!

wonkylegs Wed 13-Apr-16 13:43:59

They are unlikely to get detached but might get something nice that size with a garden in Hampstead Garden suburb for their budget with the amenities they want

dinkystinky Wed 13-Apr-16 14:22:12

Brilliant - thanks all - will suggest they go for a wander around those areas to get a feel for what they want and where they want it

sparechange Wed 13-Apr-16 16:39:05

Pinner?
Lovely community feel, all the amenities you want, quieter pace of life than being in Zone 2
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58166852.html
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41086650.html?showcase=true&premiumA=true
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57551726.html
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52968118.html

catmadmum Thu 14-Apr-16 14:11:39

Wanstead is lovely. Plenty of green open spaces, lovely cafes and village feel, safe, and on a tube line. There are also lots of activities for retired people to get involved in at the local churches, Wanstead House community centre and the Age UK Activity centre on Wanstead High St. They would need at least £800k though for a house.

PseudoBadger Thu 14-Apr-16 19:16:38

Woodside Park

APotterWithAHappyAtmosphere Sat 16-Apr-16 23:59:42

North Finchley / Woodside Park is lovely but would probably get a semi or terrace for that price. Handy for tube to N6 though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now