Lining or tiles in a swimming pool?

(17 Posts)
hmcAsWas Wed 13-Apr-16 11:30:33

For those of you who have been there - lining or tiles in a swimming pool? Tiles will apparently cost £20K more

Thanks

TremoloGreen Wed 13-Apr-16 11:33:52

Wish I could say I'd been there! I have swum in a pool though... what does the lining look like? How are the joints sealed? Can you show a picture. I've been in some fairly grotty tiled pools, which makes me think the lining might be a good idea.

hmcAsWas Wed 13-Apr-16 11:46:42

Not got a picture yet Tremolo, at very early stages. Just got planning permission through and architect is putting together a spec for the builder and has asked us, lining or tiles.

Ludways Wed 13-Apr-16 11:58:28

As a big swimmer who has swam in hundreds of pools, I'd definitely go for tiles and I'd want the lines too, however if you're not going to be training go for the liner, I'd still paint the lines on though.

babyboyHarrison Wed 13-Apr-16 12:01:06

Linings won't last as long and will require replacing but considerably cheaper. Likely to get quite s few years out of them though so not exactly a frequent occupancy. Unless you are planning on using it as a public swimming pool where the extra durability will be needed then I'd stick to the liner. Think they look nice, bright and clear and if you have money spare get one if those jets you can swim into for exercise or spend thd money on nice steps (but not accross the full end of the pool ad you can't swim lengths into steps!). With either, buy find plastic glasses for using by the pool, you do not want broken glass anywhere near it for both safety reasons and not tearing the lining.

hmcAsWas Wed 13-Apr-16 12:06:39

Thank you - good advice

nemno Wed 13-Apr-16 13:43:31

I've rented houses with pools with both. I had much greater piece of mind with the tiles, the liner seemed very fragile with my DC and their friends about, I really had to police the toys allowed in the pool. It did get a puncture once, I have no idea how.

SquirrelledAway Wed 13-Apr-16 13:45:39

The Myrtha liners are pretty robust - no idea about cost though.

MrsMarigold Wed 13-Apr-16 13:48:01

Tiles, although a bit colder much better my DParents had it done.

hmcAsWas Wed 13-Apr-16 14:22:27

Thanks all

DropYourSword Wed 13-Apr-16 14:29:26

Are they the only two options? Pools here (Australia) often have a pebbledash sort of finish - sounds awful but they're actually great. Tiles and liner can sometimes feel a little slimy, but the stone finish doesn't seem to and you get a good grip. They are sort of soft rounded too, so not at all sharp and very comfy to use.

Ancienchateau Wed 13-Apr-16 14:32:08

We are replacing the lining on ours this year after 15 years and it could probably go on for a few more years. Tiles look nice but lining is warmer.

hmcAsWas Thu 14-Apr-16 04:40:33

So quite hard wearing then if lasted 15 years..

notonyurjellybellynelly Thu 14-Apr-16 05:39:33

Tiles. I think they're nicer than liners and make more of a feature out of the pool.

McBaby Thu 14-Apr-16 07:27:45

Or liner lasted nearly 20 years before needing replacing as it had a small hole.

Ancienchateau Thu 14-Apr-16 08:59:02

Very hard-wearing. It's only got a small hole above the waterline in one place. I think it looks really nice.

PestoSkiissimos Thu 14-Apr-16 09:07:26

Liner here too, with felt underlay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now