EPC - who to use?

(9 Posts)
MrsPigling Tue 12-Apr-16 21:47:05

We've had lots of estate agents round and the prices they've mentioned for EPCs ranged from £80 to £100 (and most said they didn't make a profit on these) . The first company that came up from a quick google search charge £49.

We've not had an epc done before (been here 15 years!). Do they vary between providers or are they all written to the standard format? Is there any reason not to use the cheap firm?!

thanks smile

PigletJohn Tue 12-Apr-16 22:25:50

Some of the people who do it are very interested in the technicalities and will enjoy talking about it.

As far as I can see, though, the certificate is just a computer app that takes your measurements and tick boxes and performs a calculation, so there is no great skill or quality required, so long as you follow the instructions.

BG used to have one you could use to do your own report on, and there is a simplified but comparable tool here. You will not be able to generate an official EPC yourself though, as you are not qualified.

specialsubject Tue 12-Apr-16 22:28:01

go as cheap as possible. The model is nonsense anyway - the one for my rental suggests fitting solar panels and solemnly confirms that they will take 100 years to pay off.

wowfudge Tue 12-Apr-16 22:30:49

Agree with special and don't go with the EA's recommendation as they are probably taking a cut.

Moving15 Tue 12-Apr-16 22:32:46

Go for the cheapest. The one our agent arranged was £50. They all seem to contain similar pointless information! The guy who did it was interesting to talk to as he did lots in the area and told me lots about the market!

TK1930 Tue 12-Apr-16 22:38:22

EA quoted £80 shock
A quick Google search - £35
All done - box ticked
smile

Ifailed Wed 13-Apr-16 07:58:29

cheapest, definitely.

Mum2KSS Wed 13-Apr-16 17:09:49

be weary of a company called SAVI - they are a scam site - just google the name Chris Whatscott (the owner) and avoid any company that is linked to him as he is extremely dodgy!! We had a near miss and then went with someone local who is on the EPC register.

Mum2KSS Wed 13-Apr-16 17:10:42

*wary! not weary !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now