Bifolds-4 vs 5 panel

(12 Posts)
Ilikecakes Tue 12-Apr-16 09:55:21

Just that really. Have 4.5m wide space to fill and builder recommending 5 panel bifold, as you can fold all panels completely to one side when opening doors. With 4 panels, one door needs to be opened at either side, then the other 3 panels concertina together on the other side IYSWIM.

We're pretty certain we'd rather have 4 panels as there'd be fewer frames, which will block the light and view of the garden when the doors are closed - which will of course be most of the time. Builder is really reluctant to order 4 panel, really highlighting this 'issue' of one door remaining open on one side and the rest folding away opposite, but we're not convinced this would be a massive deal. He's also mentioned that ordering any panels over 1m is a bit of an issue, so wondering if this is the actual reason he's pushing for the 5 panel.

Anyone have any experience of this, having a door open on one side and the rest of the bifolds opposite? Does it matter? Sorry if this doesn't make sense - I'm boring myself just typing it!

PigletJohn Tue 12-Apr-16 10:42:53

With 5 panels, the "one open door" will be pretty big, but not ridiculous.

With 4, it will be rather huge.

I don't know how the hinges and door frame will stand up to the extra weight and leverage, but I think not as well.

Ilikecakes Tue 12-Apr-16 10:56:15

Ah ok piglet thanks, hadn't really considered that those widths might be excessive - thinking in millimetres makes the differences seem tiny to me!

rioblue Tue 12-Apr-16 12:58:52

I think I'd go with the 5 in your shoes. Much neater to have all doors to one side, less risk of damage to the lone swinging door and regarding the light issue - you're talking about one extra vertical bar of doorframe, which is say 20cm wide, this is under 1% of total 4500 width. Shouldn't affect the light very much?

rioblue Tue 12-Apr-16 13:03:22

Also - I think your builder is correct on it likely being an issue to go with 4. I've been looking at French doors recently and been told that the max width per door is 1m. It's maybe not impossible but I think it's not standard. I'd also want to reduce the chance of issues with the slider mechanism so this would also push me toward spreading the load over more panels.

Ilikecakes Tue 12-Apr-16 13:07:52

Thanks rio. Have just discovered frameless bifolds online and am awaiting a quote, which I imagine will be astronomical! If so, we'll probably go with the 5. Thanks.

Chapsy Tue 12-Apr-16 13:24:23

Remeber that the wider the panel, the more space it intrudes into the patio when the folds are open. For us having a configuration which allowed a traffic door was essential. So we went for 3 panel on our smaller aperture.
On our much wider aperture I was worried about the size of the panels and amount of space that it would all take up on the patio- so in the end I went for Velfac bi-parting sliding doors instead.

sacbina Tue 12-Apr-16 13:52:05

I'd go and see some doors in the flesh, not rely on the builder.

Ilikecakes Tue 12-Apr-16 14:24:37

Thanks Chapsy, very very good point about the intrusion into the patio with wider doors.

sacbina, we're overseas while the work is being done, and windows/doors etc are being sourced, in the UK. So we have looked locally here at doors, configurations etc but it always feels out of context as we're at the property so rarely that it's hard to picture them in situ! Builder does seem really good so far, so perhaps I just need to place a little more trust in his recommendations.

Thanks again for all replies

shanghaismog Tue 12-Apr-16 15:09:34

We have the same width with 5 and it's fine!

Ilikecakes Tue 12-Apr-16 16:00:42

Thanks shang.

Ilikecakes Wed 13-Apr-16 12:27:16

Thank you to everyone who gave advice! After receiving an eye-watering quote from the frameless door company (product looks amazing but waaaay out of our budget), we've decided to go with the five panel. Cheers all! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now