French doors advice

(11 Posts)
mimsnet Fri 08-Apr-16 23:23:45

Hi everyone,

I'd be grateful if some of you could offer your opinions on the debate that's currently raging at our house...clearly we have too much time on our hands!

We're about to have french doors in our sitting room and are wondering if the windows at either side of the doors should open or not?

Our thinking is that windows likely wouldn't be open to let a slight breeze in, as we feel we'd just open the doors if it the weather's nice enough. Also, if we went for opening windows, this would add more frame, when ideally we want to maximise light?

However, would having opening windows in addition to the doors be useful?

Can't wait to hear all your thoughts!

Fourarmsv2 Sat 09-Apr-16 12:38:11

I forgot to ask for them and I wish I hadn't.

We have a South facing house that gets very hot, but having the doors open when it's breezy is a pain.

amarmai Sat 09-Apr-16 13:08:43

how about louvred glass in the side windows. We had that in the tropics and loved them.

wowfudge Sat 09-Apr-16 15:00:47

Definitely have side windows that open - if it were humid and stormy you couldn't open the doors without rain coming in. With windows you can get air without getting wet.

mimsnet Sat 09-Apr-16 16:59:31

Thanks four and wow, I hadn't thought about the stormy/breezy point! I can see how they'd be useful.

Amarmai I like your style! That would add some interest smile

KarenG Thu 14-Apr-16 19:28:33

We have got an opening fanlight above our doors, which is great when you don't want the whole door open. Only suitable when you have a tall opening though.

AgathaF Fri 15-Apr-16 11:31:12

Definitely have openers to the sides, for fresh air when it's breezy and slamming the doors shut, or raining.

MiaowTheCat Fri 15-Apr-16 12:33:23

We have top opening windows either side of ours. Yes you couldn't open them along with the doors - but it's nice to have either option available for those days you don't want the doors wide open but want some air flowing through the place (I've got two kids who are like garden seeking missiles if the doors are even unlocked - some days you don't want them haring outside but want to let some air in)

kelpeed Sat 16-Apr-16 04:59:15

louvre windows - how do they work in a cool climate? do they keep the warm air in when it gets cold?

Artistic Sat 16-Apr-16 23:40:53

Our older house had the windows and how we miss them now that we don't! Definitely must have! For so many reasons as other ppl have stated.

mimsnet Mon 18-Apr-16 18:57:24

Thanks to everyone, what you've said is really helpful <smile>. I'll post some pictures when it's done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now