Do you have a white hallway?

(18 Posts)
leoniethelioness Tue 05-Apr-16 21:37:54

We are having our hallway and two bedrooms replastered this week. I'm trying to choose paint colours to decorate them. Is a white hallway a bad idea? It was previously almond white with one (narrow) olive green wall but it felt too dark. Since we're living in chaos this week with things all in the wrong place, I'm daydreaming about the different options! I'm worried about white marking easily or being too stark but I really want a light and bright space.

I think the bedrooms will be a similar shade - one is north and one is south facing. Dulux Timeless looks lovely in the north facing room but I'm not sure about the south - any suggestions for an alternative? I'm considering Dulux Ivory Lace. It's a lovely sunny room.

Thank you.

Getit Tue 05-Apr-16 21:39:46

My hallway is Dulux cornflower white

Getit Tue 05-Apr-16 21:40:36

Perhaps a white with a hint of colour like that would be good?

ChesterFuckingDraws Tue 05-Apr-16 21:45:14

Our hall is bright white and I wouldn't change it! We have our painted with endurance paint and it look great.

minipie Tue 05-Apr-16 22:48:01

Ours is white - not brilliant white but definitely white, no 'hint of'.

It's lovely and bright and feels very spacious. Marks awfully but then any pale colour would. We stupidly chose a matt finish paint.

Moving15 Tue 05-Apr-16 22:48:29

We used endurance brilliant white in our previous house. Repainted every few years (toddlers and dogs) and I loved it. Current house is green and I can't wait to return to white.

LuluJakey1 Tue 05-Apr-16 23:18:47

Ours is panelled in lincrusta and painted white. It looks lovely, if I say so myself. The floorboards are stripped and varnished and there is a dark dusty pink and cream hall runner. The stair treads are stripped and varnished and the risers are painted white. The bannister and newel posts are stripped and polished, spindles pained white. Everyone comments on it. It is light and has a really nice look to it.

leoniethelioness Wed 06-Apr-16 07:49:22

Thank you! I think I'll go for it! Now to choose the perfect white...

orangina01 Wed 06-Apr-16 08:45:19

I would go for it. Ours is brilliant white with coloured art and seat. Everyone says it is so bright (no huge window either) and we have a four year old. I don't find it gets any dirtier or smudged than the rest of the house.

minipie Wed 06-Apr-16 16:36:13

I'd go for Trade White - basically it's just white, without the optical brighteners that are added to Brilliant White (which can look quite blue/cold in some lights).

SquinkiesRule Wed 06-Apr-16 16:43:02

We have a white hall too. Once we painted up the stairs in white too it looked too white if thats possible so painted the wall going up the stairs in a pale yellow, leaving the hall and landing in white. The hall only gets sunlight in the late afternoon and evening.

lalalonglegs Wed 06-Apr-16 16:56:36

I don't generally like white walls but in a high-traffic area such as a hallway it is good to have a colour that can be painted then retouched numerous times without looking streaky so it would be a sensible choice.

bowsaw Wed 06-Apr-16 21:44:11

all our rooms are white, some have a "feature" wall, but it was originally only to be a easy fast thing when moving in, but we like the look and then the decorations in the form of furniture and pictures add the colour range back

pearlylum Wed 06-Apr-16 22:44:06

Most of my rooms are white.

I have always thought that white walls were very boring but we moved into a large bright house, painted mostly in white and I love it, I add splashes of colour with fabrics, cushions and lamps.

beadyboo Wed 06-Apr-16 22:52:41

We have a white hall. We used valspar paint which is supposed to be wipeable. There's a few marks, but it'll be easy to touch up.
It's a fairly dark space and we had it painted all white, with really sparkly glass lights and a very bright carpet. I love it!

washingrail Thu 07-Apr-16 12:11:24

my whole house (apart from the kids rooms) is lakeland non toxic paints white emulsion.

however we have pure white dulux diamond matt emulsion in our newly plastered hall which is between west and north west so lots of evening sun.

its great, its crisp but never looks stark as we have original wood stairs and exposed floorboards which warms the look up.

the lakeland paints which is a nice flat white - we never find it blue-y white.

i also think our white paint settled down after a week or so too, if that makes sense, less blazing/ glaring white.

so much of our "things" (aka crap) are colourful so i didnt want any more colour/pattern walls to add to that.

MajesticWhine Thu 07-Apr-16 12:20:08

I am about to repaint the hallway and stairs and I am probably going to go with Dulux Timeless. What are the advantages of endurance paint ? Does anyone have any experience of Dulux Light + Space Matt? It's meant to reflect more light apparently.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 07-Apr-16 12:26:40

Yes. Love it but used trade rather than scrubable paint which was a mistake so get the best paint you can afford. It's really easy to brighten up with pictures etc too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now