Can someone help me choose kitchen tiles please??

(18 Posts)
movingonup2015 Tue 05-Apr-16 15:05:06

My kitchen tiles are currently boring bumpy white with a small blue mosaic piece in the centre. I want to change them but I don't know what to go for...

I am planning on selling my house next year so I want something that will be neutral and appeal to most.

My kitchen cabinets are just a light brown wood effect and my worktops are black with a marble effect and walls a pastel green

I want to stay away from just plain white if I can help it as that's screams boring to me but open to ideas!

lalalonglegs Tue 05-Apr-16 15:07:46

Given the range of colours, I probably would stick with white - others will disagree but I like metro flat tiles laid in brick formation. Very easy on the eye and unlikely to put anyone off when it comes to sell - I would use a dark grout to make them mildly more interesting.

movingonup2015 Thu 07-Apr-16 09:19:52

I was hoping someone wouldn't suggest the metro tiles I really don't like them at all! confused

lalalonglegs Thu 07-Apr-16 10:34:56

Ha ha - feel free to ignore!

PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 07-Apr-16 10:37:51

I would not choose metro, they are a fashionable tile and would put me off, as it means they will date.

If you are moving why are you spending money changing the tiles?

justaweeone Thu 07-Apr-16 10:58:18

http://m.toppstiles.co.uk/search_results.php?section=100&page=1&model=kitchen-wall-tiles&rangeid=314&view=products&n=1
This range is nice as well as being neutral

movingonup2015 Thu 07-Apr-16 11:00:08

Hi yes I am hoping to sell next year so would like something nice and modern and neutral that says "I don't need to update this kitchen" when a buyer walks in...

PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 07-Apr-16 11:19:50

how about this:
www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/laura-ashley-artisan-duck-egg-wall-tile---150-x-75mm---22-pack-218990

lalalonglegs Thu 07-Apr-16 11:23:11

Aren't all the suggestions so far for metro/brick-style tiles? I think there is a consensus growing grin

FanSpamTastic Thu 07-Apr-16 11:38:19

Unless the tiles you have currently are hideous then I would not bother.

But if you really want to change something then have you considered glass splash backs? It works out about the same cost as tiles. Easy to clean, no grout to discolour. Looks modern.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 07-Apr-16 12:04:59

Have a look at these www.winchestertiles.com/
www.winchestertiles.com/products?range=%27Classic%27&page=1 Delft White without the little picture tiles. Modern kitchen but we didn't fancy metro tiles.

We put in plain white ones and just used bright accessories [black countertops, oak coloured cupboards, brilliant white walls] and had very good feedback when it came to selling. Lots of other colours and styles but to some extent it depends on the style of your cupboards - modern, cottagey ?

movingonup2015 Thu 07-Apr-16 12:30:09

Fanspamtastic - I did have a look at the glass splashbacks but couldn't seem to get it less than £300 without fitting! so gave that a wide berth after that....

Treadsoftly - the delt white are similar to what I have now. I think it's the dark blue squares in the middle of the tiles and the blue tile trim that is annoying me as it doesn't really go with the pastel green I have on the walls... I was thinking something like a marble type tile with a slightly different shade going through but again, don't know if this will appeal to the masses...

I have a pic of my kitchen (excuse the stepladders!)

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Thu 07-Apr-16 13:10:25

How long has the kitchen been in? I only ask as it's hard to tell from the pictures here and if it's clearly been in a while then tiles are fairly irrelevant.

Its all very neutral, taste-wise, already so I'm not sure why you want to re-tile now? Personally I'd want to do the whole kitchen to my taste, but if I were a buyer who couldn't afford to your current kitchen is very inoffensive.

Sorry, that sounds rude, it's really not intended to be.

movingonup2015 Thu 07-Apr-16 13:18:39

Sandras you don't sound rude that does make sense! It has been in around 8 years but I guess if its not going to put people off the way it looks now then maybe I should leave it. I just cant stop staring at those blue squares!

PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 07-Apr-16 14:05:05

they do look fine to me as well

justaweeone Thu 07-Apr-16 14:28:17

Op your kitchen is very inoffensive, I think I would live with it( I know that's easy for me to say!)

HighHopes16 Thu 07-Apr-16 15:35:18

I am currently House hunting and your kitchen tiles wouldn't put me off!

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Thu 07-Apr-16 15:36:05

I wouldn't bother changing the tiles OP. They're totally inoffensive.

And, I don't think that changing the tiles is going to change the mind of anyone who thinks the kitchen needs updating. It's a style that many people will think they can live with, even if they're not going to fall in love with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now