Holiday home location - within 1.5 hrs of Manchester

(34 Posts)
gillyweed Thu 31-Mar-16 21:00:32

I say holiday home, but it will be our first and only property, as we are lucky enough to live permanently with my dad in his huge rambling house in Manchester. We want to invest in property and would love to have somewhere the whole family could just drive to on a weekend, somewhere with a holiday feel!

Requirements:
- Around 1.5hrs drive from mcr
- lots to do in surrounding area for all ages (we are hoping to keep this for years so will need to grow with our family, currently babies/toddlers)
- would love a beach, but water of some sort would be good.
- budget is probs less than 250k for 4 bed.

I guess I'm after location suggestions really; we love Wales and have family in Ireland so that would be handy for them. I've looked at the East side of Anglesey but it's a little bleak. All suggestions and info appreciated!

mercifulTehlu Thu 31-Mar-16 21:06:12

I live about 1hr20mins from Manchester. We are in Cumbria, near the Lancashire border, so just on the edge of the Lake District and the Arnside and Silverdale AONB. It is beautiful here! There are some 4 bed houses within your budget (just about), I should think. I can see the sea (well, the estuary) and the peaks of the Lake District from my windows!

ohidoliketobe Thu 31-Mar-16 21:08:44

I was going to suggest South Lakes or ribble valley. Some beautiful areas

BikeRunSki Thu 31-Mar-16 21:16:23

I was also going to say Morecombe Bag area. Although I love Stavely, but it hasn't got a Lake.

Laura280315 Thu 31-Mar-16 21:18:53

South lakes 100%, I live near arnside/silverdale and the area has a lot to offer and is great location for day trips into the lakes X

SwedishEdith Thu 31-Mar-16 21:22:08

I love North Wales. You could get to Barmouth area in that time. I've not actually been this since I was a child but assume it's still lovely in that area.

mercifulTehlu Thu 31-Mar-16 21:32:17

<waves to Laura280315> we must live down the road from each other!

gillyweed Thu 31-Mar-16 22:19:02

Hmmm after a quick look on rightmove I would say the lakes is out of our price range - 250k really is the top of our budget!

Nothing in Barmouth for sale!

Will check out Morecombe bay!

gillyweed Thu 31-Mar-16 22:26:22

Morecombe bay looks promising, There are a few houses in budget! I don't know the area at all, might need a day trip!

SwedishEdith Thu 31-Mar-16 22:28:59

Lovely

SwedishEdith Thu 31-Mar-16 22:32:24

[[http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53349847.html Nice]

SwedishEdith Thu 31-Mar-16 22:33:00

Again

SwedishEdith Thu 31-Mar-16 22:35:54

Cute - but look at the size of that Bread! I'll stop now.

gillyweed Thu 31-Mar-16 22:39:08

Swedish they are both amazing! The Harlech house really reminds me of my grans house when I was little, walls 2ft deep! Sadly I think they are both a little too far - the roads are just crap through snowdonia and it would be about 2.5 hrs each way... Boooooo!

gillyweed Thu 31-Mar-16 22:41:07

Arghhhhhh the last one is just beautiful... alas, too far!

jellybeans Thu 31-Mar-16 22:41:31

North Wales for sure. Criccieth and Morfa Bychan area are fantastic. I like Trearddur Bay in Anglesey too but scenery in Snowdonia is stunning.

SwedishEdith Thu 31-Mar-16 22:42:26

Just set off any hour earlier? grin

Runningupthathill82 Thu 31-Mar-16 22:45:57

Edale, or somewhere similar in the Peaks - Castleton/Hathersage/Grindleford?

georgedawes Thu 31-Mar-16 22:48:17

I was going to suggest the peak District although might not fulfil beach criteria! Lots of reservoirs though!

ccridersuz Thu 31-Mar-16 22:49:04

I would suggest just around the coast the other side of Bangor there are a lot of little beaches just after Meni Bridge, along the coast road around that area towards Barmouth, this side of the west coast is pretty amazing and still relatively unspoilt. Plus I've been told reasonably priced. Have spent many holidays with my kids in this area, as it is pretty handy for the Snowdon range.

shoesSHOES Thu 31-Mar-16 22:55:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SwedishEdith Thu 31-Mar-16 22:56:14

I know it's Bangor but it's lovely and handy for Beaumaris

pieceofpurplesky Thu 31-Mar-16 23:04:32

What about Beaumaris in Anglesey?

gillyweed Fri 01-Apr-16 08:06:49

Ok that cottage in Bangor is absolutely perfect! What is Bangor like though? - I've always thought of it as more of a pass through... is it nice?

gillyweed Fri 01-Apr-16 08:08:39

Should also say we are willing to do work so would prefer something at the lower end of our budget!

I've looked at Beaumaris, I really like the town, there are a couple of things but it seems pretty affluent and hard to find a 4 bed in that price range!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now