Living near A1- noise ?

(8 Posts)
Rhianna1980 Thu 31-Mar-16 07:34:17

Hello,
I would like some input on how noisy it is living about 300-400 meters away from the A1?
There's a property that we like but we are worried about the noise from there. From the little research that I have done, some people that's a no , others say you will get used to the humming sound, some say it depends which way the wind blows.

Any input please? Thanks in advance !

Ididthattoo Thu 31-Mar-16 11:32:54

You will definitely hear the noise and indeed when it rains or if the wind blows the "wrong" direction, you will hear it.

I would suggest you look for another house.

ihatethecold Thu 31-Mar-16 11:37:54

I wouldn't even consider it. I live near a fairly busy road and it drives me nuts sometimes.

I cant imagine the A1 is ever quiet.

frikadela01 Thu 31-Mar-16 11:47:12

I live next to a main road and even with double glazing you can hear the road. We're always reluctant to have the front windows open because the traffic is annoying.

And I imagine the a1 is 10 times worse. Dont do it.

putthePuffindown Thu 31-Mar-16 12:58:07

We considered a property that was slightly closer to a busy road, but had no where near the traffic of the A1. We investigated sound proofing solutions (of which there are many) and spent a number of days and nights camping out nearby to see how we felt about it. In the end it was the fumes rather than the noise that put us off. We're now 1km away from same road and can hear it in garden when wind is 'right'. So glad we didn't go for it.

MiaowTheCat Thu 31-Mar-16 14:15:18

I'm relatively close to the m1 and apart from hearing it when the wind blows the right way, you really don't notice it much.

The bits that are more annoying are that any traffic incident on the motorway absolutely gridlocks any roads around here with diversions and people rat running the back way, and everyone uses us as a cheaper alternative to the services so it can feel no one comes to see "us" but rather they ring and pop in for coffee at short notice on the way to a better offer

GinandJag Thu 31-Mar-16 14:16:14

I used to live on the A1. It was fine.

Rhianna1980 Fri 01-Apr-16 03:29:33

Ok thank you so much for all your help.
I will keep looking. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now