House with shower room/no bath (with pics)

(4 Posts)
HighHopes16 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:32:44

We are really interested in buying a house but it currently only has a shower room and we wouldn't be able to live very long without a bath!

It's at the top of our budget but is perfect in every other way so I wondered has anyone got experience of how much this would cost to convert?

I've included pics of the current shower room & floorplan as there is space to make an en suite bathroom to Bedroom 1 (in place of the wardrobe/airing cupboard) but I don't know how much that would cost either!

Thanks in advance.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:54:17

It would be a very tight squeeze to get a bath in there. A bath is usually about 170cm long (although you can get shorter, but wouldn't be able to lie in it) so it would have to go along the right hand wall (it couldn't go on the left hand wall because there wouldn't be sufficient space to open the door).

Baths are usually 70cm wide, and an internal door is about 75cm wide (plus the door frame). You'd have to factor in a smaller door probably into your costs as you don't have enough width for a 70cm wide bath and a standard door. You'd have just less than 70cm from the end of the bath to the back wall, so depending on how big the sink is and how far it is away from the wall, you'd have to move that too. The plumbing won't have to move, so I'd guess £2-4k for new tiling / new bath / making good all the work?

As for the ensuite, I'm guessing that might be quite expensive as it won't have any plumbing as yet and it looks to be nowhere near the soil stack (presuming that is located near the current toilet). I'd guess £4-6k depending on spec?

VertigoNun Wed 30-Mar-16 12:00:02

Can you add a bathroom downstairs?

NakedMum33and3rd Wed 30-Mar-16 12:57:35

Personally for the cost of adding a bath and an ensuite I would move the bathroom completely to where the ensuite would be. Take part of bedroom three and have the current bathroom door as the entrance to bedroom three. Yes there would be no window (unless you are detached/semi?) but you would have a large family bathroom which reflects the number of beds in the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now