Evaluation report, having doubts

(6 Posts)
Zhabr Wed 30-Mar-16 10:26:47

hello, first time buyer here. We put an offer on the house, which has been accepted. Lender valuation report just has arrived, it says that the house is non standard construction called Wimpey No Fines. Also "the property has been extended and structurally altered. Legal Adviser to confirm the necessary consents were."
Have never heard before about Wimpey no fines. We had a viewing on Saturday and the person who showed us the house was not an agent, but some random lady, who said that she did not really know anything, any questions ask the agent. We have not been told that the house is non standard construction, nobody mentioned it to use and we had no idea. Also the house needs a lot of work. So DH and I are really having second thoughts now and don't know what to do. BTW, the valuation price was not lowered by the lender.
Shall we pull out of the process and start our house hunting again? The plan was to buy for about three years, update and may be extend, then sell and move out of London in time for secondary school transfer.

wowfudge Wed 30-Mar-16 10:33:19

Do a search on here for Wimpey No Fines and on the Internet. You'll get lots of information and can then decide what to do. Non standard construction houses tend to be concentrated in certain areas. The fact that the valuation has come back at the agreed price is a good thing.

The bit about checking the necessary consents were obtained for work on the house is what you pay your solicitor for anyway and sounds like typical surveyor backside covering speak. You should have your own, more detailed survey carried out by a surveyor familiar with this kind of house.

The person who showed you round the house will have been their weekend cover person - very typical when the estate agents work Mon-Fri and they should be embarrassed that they knew very little about the house.

specialsubject Wed 30-Mar-16 10:40:58

also suggest running some insurance quotes; 'non standard construction' can make getting insurance quite fun...

Zhabr Wed 30-Mar-16 11:19:14

Thanks for your replies, will do my research and think it over...

SleepyForest Wed 30-Mar-16 11:22:42

If it has already been extended it will make it more difficult to extend again. I suggest more research.

Zhabr Wed 30-Mar-16 12:03:57

It is a conservatory which I plan to knock down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now