Help - grout is the wrong colour!

(8 Posts)
ilovevenice Mon 28-Mar-16 14:29:12

We are just having our bathroom redone, using some nice old tiles which had been elsewhere in the house. Photo shows them before grouting - they cover quite a large area. Unfortunately we specified jasmine grout and it is far too creamy (the tiles are more a greyish off white). It just looks completely wrong sad. What are our options? We can't just start again, even if we could swallow the cost, as the tiles are reclaimed and I imagine quite a few would be damaged in the process (and the tiler says the adhesive he uses goes off very quickly so they are well and truly stuck). I wondered if it was possible to go over them with just a thin layer of a greyer off-white grout but he seems dubious. Is there anything we can paint on which would take the creaminess down a bit? Anyone used these?
https://www.rainbowchalk.com/product-category/grout-pen/
They were recommended on MN for cleaning grout but also come in colours including grey.

wowfudge Mon 28-Mar-16 15:06:40

The grout and the adhesive are two different things. You can dig the grout out from between the tiles and redo it in a more suitable colour. You can even buy special tools just for the job. It doesn't mean you have to remove the tiles. The tiler will probably not want to do this time-consuming and messy job. You can do it yourselves though.

origamiwarrior Mon 28-Mar-16 16:20:08

I don't see why going over it with a smear of grey grout wouldn't work, there certainly wouldn't be any issue with the new grout bonding to the old grout. Give it a go on a small area of tiles and see if it works. I'm sure the grout pen would work too. Both options would be DIY if your tiler is being difficult.

seven201 Mon 28-Mar-16 19:36:59

A few years ago we tiles our bathroom floor with dark grey tiles and I put in graphite grout thinking it was a suitable mid-dark grey. Wrong, it's practically black. It looked like I'd been watching too much changing rooms in the 90's. I bought a paler grout and ran a very fine layer over the top and it was fine. Digging out and re-doing would probably last better though...

seven201 Mon 28-Mar-16 19:37:32

It could be worse. The house we bought has orange tiles with red grout in the kitchen confused

Greyhorses Mon 28-Mar-16 20:30:59

I used a something called grout rescue which claims to change the colour of any grout to any colour. I got the tube from ebay.

I did mine from light to dark and im not sure how long it will last but there's enough left to do touch ups if required.

ilovevenice Mon 28-Mar-16 20:42:33

Sorry - was overwhelmed by children, but finally they're asleep...
Wow - red grout on orange? shock Am imagining a 70s provenance for that combo?!
Anyway, it's good to know my ideas weren't completely outrageous. And I hadn't thought of digging it out (though a bit daunting over such a large area!). I will talk to the tiler again - he's done a lovely job here and in the kitchen so I can see it's annoying for him (and our fault for choosing the wrong colour). And I'll try a couple of options in a discreet corner.
Thanks all!

Rafflesway Tue 29-Mar-16 14:17:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now