kitchen help

(15 Posts)
Madelinehatter Sat 19-Mar-16 17:28:23

I am planning a new kitchen. Currently it's white and painted the walls a nice sagey green.

Kitchen is quite long and narrow but has good light. My options:

White units and same greeny walls.

Or white units and grey walls.

Grey units and white walls.

Vanilla/ cream units with green walls again or grey walls.

What won't date as quick?

What do you think?

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 19-Mar-16 18:43:32

White units and white walls will open up the space ... Then add colour by adding colourful things perhaps ?!

imsorryiasked Sat 19-Mar-16 19:21:43

Paint colour on the wall is easier to change than the units. So classic units which won't date and whichever paint you fancy.

Madelinehatter Sun 20-Mar-16 08:10:42

So white or cream units you think?

Thanks btw.

ExtraHotLatteToGo Sun 20-Mar-16 11:32:04

White.

Why are you planning a new kitchen? Any idea where you'll be buying it from?

Madelinehatter Sun 20-Mar-16 17:07:14

Current one dropping to bits. Not sure where to buy. Haven't ever bought one! Ikea maybe? Magnet? There is a shop near us that will match them both. Need everything including tiles and oven.

MiaowTheCat Mon 21-Mar-16 07:54:01

Mine is white units, black appliances, grey walls (the bits DH has got round to painting) and then splashes of colour with teal accessories. I figure that it keeps our options relatively open to just change the accent and wall colours and shouldn't date for a good few years if we're able to do that.

Madelinehatter Mon 21-Mar-16 16:03:31

Yes our freezer is black too. I am thinking white units, grey walls. No idea on tiles. Want wood work tops though.

imsorryiasked Mon 21-Mar-16 18:41:17

How about glass splashback panels instead of tiles?

VeryPunny Mon 21-Mar-16 18:43:23

We have a long narrow kitchen and have white gloss units, dark grey worktops, sulfur yellow glass splashbacks and pale grey walls.

Madelinehatter Mon 21-Mar-16 19:29:20

Hmmmm . Will think about that.

PixieGio Mon 21-Mar-16 19:36:03

Hi madelinehatter, we're sort if going for a similar thing. We ordered from Howdens a few days ago a very basic white shaker style - Burford in matt white and going to match it with bamboo counter tops. Can't decide between a mint/sage green metro tile or use our white metro tiles left over from bathroom and then paint walls. Howdens were fairly reasonable - how big is your kitchen? We also bought a kitchen island from Ikea which matches perfectly.

Madelinehatter Mon 21-Mar-16 19:46:42

Thanks. I don't k ow how big tbh. Currently 7 floor units and 4 wall cupboards plus a tall cupboard. I want more open shelves though. Was Howdens expensive?

PixieGio Mon 21-Mar-16 20:06:41

Yeah we allowed space for open shelving too. Came in at £5200 but no worktops or appliances. Quite a few base units, two corner wall units, 2 glass wall units (got the extra tall), two tall larders, bridging unit to go over a large fridge freezer. Fairly large kitchen.

ExtraHotLatteToGo Thu 24-Mar-16 21:08:47

Sorry MH I missed your updates.

The fitter I got in touch with fits systemsix (quantum) kitchens, so I've been looking at those. They seem nice, but nothing much making me go 'ooooh that's lovely'.

Then spent a few hours local at other more local manufacturers.

Then IKEA.

Then Hidens again, because whilst I hate their selling stem, I do like their kitchens :/

Then magazines.

Basically I've got no idea what to buy or where from. I just want the damn thing done with the minimum of fuss at a reasonable price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now