Vote on these flats

(17 Posts)
Trills Sat 19-Mar-16 13:38:47

Both in a very good location for me.

Both a little smaller than I would ideally like, but I think I have to be realistic about this.

Same price (although of course that'll depend on how much other interest there is).

Flat A
+ Has a parking space - I have no intention to have a car while living in this location so don't really NEED this, but it's nice to have and includes a private safe place to lock up a bike.
+ Empty, so I could move in quickly
- Hob is electric (built in so would be hard to change without redoing entire kitchen)

Flat B
- No parking space/bike parking space.
- Has tenants in, and plan is to serve notice once a sale is agreed - but I'm not in a big rush to move so as long as they played nicely this wouldn't be a big problem.
+ Gas hob - and I enjoy cooking and strongly prefer gas.

Option C - wait and see if anything else comes up.

Votes please.

CMOTDibbler Sat 19-Mar-16 13:46:52

A - bike and other storage is really important, and a parking space does make it easier to sell on later

Chewbecca Sat 19-Mar-16 13:50:14

Is the only -ive in flat A the hob? If so, I'd go for it, that's pretty good going as the only compromise!

SoupDragon Sat 19-Mar-16 13:52:50

Yes, I agree: A. The hob might be a downside but it is fixable should you want to do so.

SwedishEdith Sat 19-Mar-16 13:54:47

A. Easier to resell.

SwedishEdith Sat 19-Mar-16 13:55:33

Isn't induction the way forward for hobs now? So, could change to that.

Trills Sat 19-Mar-16 13:57:28

I thought that was what you might say.

I have a bad cold at the moment so can't face making decisions and this is a scary big decision.

I am wavering to option C but I think that's just because I'm nervous about making an offer.

The other negatives about flat A (bit smaller than I'd like) are equally shared by flat B.

Trills Sat 19-Mar-16 13:57:49

I don't want induction, I want FIRE! grin

Trills Sat 19-Mar-16 13:59:50

I'd really prefer a kitchen where the cooker is freestanding so I can buy one for myself without having any faffing about, but the trend in the modern flats is for hob/oven (and sometimes more appliances) to be built-in.

I've looked at some less-modern flats and I don't think I like them.

Naoko Sat 19-Mar-16 14:04:52

Yeah, I'd go A and swap the hob for induction, which has all the direct control of gas without any of the hassle of needing to redo the kitchen. And as it recently took an electrician all of an hour to swap my broken built in electric hob for a new one, I really don't think built in is that much hassle either.

DolorestheNewt Sat 19-Mar-16 14:04:56

Go for the parking space. People are obsessed with them. As I discovered when I tried to sell my late father's flat. I'm so used to parking several streets away that I honestly didn't think it was that big a deal, but it was a real drawback.

PurpleWithRed Sat 19-Mar-16 14:13:38

If there is gas in the flat then you can change the hob to gas without it being a big deal. I'd go for A. or C.

PurpleWithRed Sat 19-Mar-16 14:14:05

ps you might be able to rent out the parking space on JustPark

Trills Sat 19-Mar-16 14:16:41

I had thought of that - renting out the parking space - it's underneath the block of flats and behind a gate so I'm not sure if it's allowed for security reasons. Also not really sure if anyone would want it, but since I don't drive maybe I'm underestimating its value.

wowfudge Sat 19-Mar-16 15:31:34

Flat A - another resident of the flats could be interesting in renting your space, plus there is always somewhere for a visitor to park. For fire safety reasons you may not be allowed to use the space for storage.

SoupDragon Sat 19-Mar-16 15:41:44

If you aren't desperate to move, then perhaps option C is the right one.

Sixinabed Sat 19-Mar-16 15:54:24

Flat A in a shot. You can't add the parking/cycle storage to flat b, but can easily swap a hob. Even if it's built in its a doddle. You could always get a gas safe engineer to go round and give you a quote for peace of mind?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now