Question for a plumber, pigletjohn maybe?

(9 Posts)
Allbymyselfagain Thu 17-Mar-16 21:52:41

Viewed a house today and I love it. Got a few niggles though. Main one is no shower just a bath, how easy is it to add an electric shower above the bath. It would be sited on a internal wall so I assume just hooking up electrics and adding an extra water pipe (probably being hopeless simplistic here!)
Any idea on if this is possible and how much they this would cost and what I need to think about?

PigletJohn Fri 18-Mar-16 00:13:09

an electric shower has to be connected to a mains-pressure cold water pipe, and needs a high power electric cable run to the consumer unit. This will cost some £hundreds.

Electric showers are frail and weedy, and deliver small amounts of warm water. Why do you think you need one? Presumably there is a gas boiler of some kind?

Allbymyselfagain Fri 18-Mar-16 17:08:18

There is a glow worm combi boiler in the kitchen which I think is also where the fuse board is. I don't know why I want an electric I just thought with those you don't have to faff about with the hot and cold tap getting the right temperature every morning (like you do in hotels) is there another way?

PigletJohn Fri 18-Mar-16 17:45:43

perhaps you want a thermostatic shower.

It depends if there is a hot-water cylinder, and what colour it is.

Allbymyselfagain Fri 18-Mar-16 19:26:12

Hot water cylinder is normally found in a cupboard somewhere isn't it, it's the cold water one that's normally in the loft? I don't think there is one but I will check with the EA tomorrow.
Sorry if I being stupid.

PigletJohn Fri 18-Mar-16 22:00:19

Yes and yes.

One way of detecting a combi boiler (no cylinder) is to stand in the kitchen and turn the hot tap on, see if the boiler fires up a couple of seconds later and continues firing until a few seconds after you turn the hot tap off. Some boilers have a small amount of stored hot water so the delay may be longer. They will be bigger.

You can run showers off whatever plumbing system you have, but in different ways.

Allbymyselfagain Fri 18-Mar-16 22:55:11

Ok I will find all this out and come back to you. Thank you so much for your help

dementedma Sun 20-Mar-16 07:51:51

Watching this with interest. We are in an upstairs flat in an old building and would like a shower but have been told we can't because of the water pressure? We have a newish combi boiler in the kitchen ( previous boiler in cupboard was instantly condemned a few years back when plumber caught sight of it!) and a big tank in the attic. I would love an over bath shower which would be on external wall. Sounds like you are saying it's possible piglet? . Sorry for hjiack OP

PigletJohn Sun 20-Mar-16 10:38:50

A combi boiler doesn't use a loft tank.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now