Costs for bathroom renovation

(11 Posts)
Readysteadyknit Wed 16-Mar-16 10:50:10

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much should I expect to pay to have a large shower replaced, a new more powerful extractor fan installed and the bathroom (largish) retiled and decorated. At the moment the bathroom is tiled from floor to ceiling plus floor tiles. I am quite happy with toilet, bath and sink - white and good quality - so was going to keep them.

TranquilityofSolitude Wed 16-Mar-16 11:04:18

I have just paid about £6,000 for the whole bathroom to be redone - everything taken out and replaced, and the floor and walls (half height except in the shower) tiled. We also had a new extractor fan. We asked the plumber to fit a new one in another bathroom - I think that fan cost about £25 and he charged £15 for the fitting. The bath + panel was about £900, so you could take that off if you're not replacing your bath.

TranquilityofSolitude Wed 16-Mar-16 11:05:41

Sorry, I should have said that it took 3 weeks and the labour cost was about £2,000. The type of tiles you choose will have a big impact on the total cost.

VertigoNun Wed 16-Mar-16 11:06:13

Did you supply the tiles yourself?

Readysteadyknit Wed 16-Mar-16 11:10:16

Thanks that's useful although i didn't think it would take 3 weeks to do.

TranquilityofSolitude Wed 16-Mar-16 11:14:50

I was quite surprised. I'd assumed it would take about a week.

roundandroundthehouses Wed 16-Mar-16 11:18:32

We've just been quoted £6K all in to have ours completely gutted. That's about £2.5K fittings and £3.5K labour It's a small-ish bathroom, but a complete renovation including having the ceiling re-skimmed, etc.. You'll save a lot if you're keeping the existing fittings, and the tiling will probably be the biggest cost. The fitters have told us about a week and a half from start to finish.

Grumpyoldblonde Wed 16-Mar-16 11:21:35

We are just about to pay £800 for labour only, this is fitting a new basin, tiling floor, tiling walls, fitting new shower & extractor fan. We are buying all the tiles/basin/new taps etc. ourselves, the cost is simply the fitting and will take around 3 days according to our plumber.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Wed 16-Mar-16 11:26:40

we paid 4.7k for a gut and refurb - replastering, tiling, new skirting, floors, replacement pipes as ours were FUBAR, installing a fan, sash window renovated, new sanitary ware.

this was for mid-range stuff. I think materials were 2.5, plus 2.2k labour. WE did pay for our plumber to project manage the job though, which I'd do again in a heartbeat as it meant we got the whole thing sorted in 5 days.

gruffalocake2 Wed 16-Mar-16 11:36:28

Mine is being done for £3k all in. About £1200 labour costs for one weeks work. It's a very good deal for round here (SE) but I have got grohe taps, ideal standard fittings etc. by shopping online. I think the norm would be £4-5k (that's what Homebase wanted).

Readysteadyknit Wed 16-Mar-16 11:49:09

That's interesting gruffalo - SE here too. I'd be happy to buy the fittings etc myself so maybe should look into that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now