annie Sloan epic fail

(6 Posts)
HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 13-Mar-16 18:00:59

Tried for the first time today and it is a rubbish result - what have I done wrong?! Watered the paint down a little as recommended, 2 coats but I can still see patches of the old darker wood underneath. I feel the need to do a third coat when Annie says you only need one! Gutted, supposed to be fool proof and I failed!

Nepotism Sun 13-Mar-16 18:40:57

Did you stir it well? Which colour did you use? I've found results vary depending on the colour.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 13-Mar-16 19:14:06

I thought I'd stirred well but can do more next time. It's the old white going onto very orange (as in 10 years old and that orangey colour) oak veneer.

dontcallmelen Sun 13-Mar-16 21:16:50

Hi Op fraid you will have to keep on coating, I have never managed just one coat with Annie Sloan, especially trying to cover dark wood, I find it covers better thinned with a little water & used sparingly on the brush, you have not failed just keep going, until you are happy with the finish.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 13-Mar-16 22:09:33

Thank you! Will add another coat tomorrow!

TattyCat Mon 14-Mar-16 23:35:25

Op, if that doesn't work then I highly recommend Autentico. They do a chalk paint that behaves like 'normal' eggshell but needs no prep. I've just used it on my kitchen cupboards and it's absolutely fantastic. Smooth, diamond hard and wipeable. Previously painted with Rustoleum Chalk paint and that just didn't work (patchy despite many coats) and previously one coat of Annie Sloan. I was stunned by the results of Autentico as all these previous paint jobs made me assume that I'd need to buy new doors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now