Leeds versus Harrogate

(36 Posts)
Alasalas2 Sat 12-Mar-16 00:21:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Randomname653 Sat 12-Mar-16 08:28:45

Personally, and with that budget, I would go for one of the 'nicer' areas of NW Leeds eg Horsforth, Guiseley, Burley in Wharfedale. But it depends on so many things: do you need access to a train line for a commute? Do you prefer village life or more of a town community vibe? Harrogate is really lovely but I find it a bit 'old lady posh' for the likes of me and you get less for your money property wise. I've NCed for this as I've surely insulted someone somewhere ;) You can't lose really as both are great places to live and bring up kids.

cathyandclaire Sat 12-Mar-16 09:50:20

We live outside Leeds. We looked at a house in Harrogate and our two older teenage DDs were not happy , it's a little too naice for them I think, everyone knows everything about everyone.
It's a lovely place with good schools though, I used to go there a lot but not so much any more. Leeds has really got better over the last few years and the villages outside are lovely.

Bunbaker Sat 12-Mar-16 09:57:41

I used to live in Guiseley and agree that north west Leeds has a lot to offer. Otley is nice as well.

I lived there pre DC so I don't know what the schools are like.

RupertTheBear Sat 12-Mar-16 10:13:24

I live in Harrogate and it's really lovely. All the school are good- especially the secondaries. Apparently it is one of the only places in the country where parents who send their children to private primaries then opt for state secondaries. I used to live and work in north Leeds and would not move back now. Harrogate is a fabulous placed to bring up kids.

Bunbaker Sat 12-Mar-16 10:56:14

I have heard how good the secondaries are in Harrogate. I have also heard that this is reflected in the house prices.

TheLesserSpottedBee Sat 12-Mar-16 21:01:43

I would say it all depends on where you are working or where you need to travel to. That can have a huge impact on area.

nephrofox Sat 12-Mar-16 21:03:50

The belt between the 2 is lovely - alwoodly, Adel, roundhay, collingham etc.

I would say it depends if you need to access motorways for work. Leeds is better than harrogate for that.

Sonnet Sat 12-Mar-16 21:04:45

Harrogate every time for me!

Savagebeauty Sat 12-Mar-16 21:06:21

I'm looking to buy in Leeds...north/ Northwest Leeds. Budget £400k for three beds.
Saw a lovely house in Fitzroy Drive but it sold this week

BikeRunSki Sat 12-Mar-16 21:09:11

The belt between the 2 is lovely - alwoodly, Adel, roundhay, collingham etc.

Also incredibly expensive!

How about Otley, with a view to Prince Henry's for secondary?

Alasalas2 Sat 12-Mar-16 23:50:52

OiOiSausage Sun 13-Mar-16 00:08:04

Characterising Harrogate as 'old lady posh' is as inaccurate as saying Leeds is full of folk who'll have your car wheels.

Yes, there are a fair amount of old posh ladies in Harrogate, but that's not all there is. For a town its size, there's a lot going on.

There are no few bad areas, but £350k would get you a great family home and the schools are all good. Loads of family stuff too and because the town is only little you can use all of it.

Areas would depend on what you like. There's lots of houses in your budget fairly centrally so the whole of Harrogate is walkable but mostly without big gardens. Or, if you want a garden, just look outside the Victorian areas.

Alasalas2 Sun 13-Mar-16 00:36:03

Bunbaker Sun 13-Mar-16 08:22:10

" OH would work in Leeds, drive car so no real need for trains."

Ha ha ha ha.

If you are looking at north west Leeds the drive down the A65 in the morning is horrendous. I would suggest that there is every need for trains.

RupertTheBear Sun 13-Mar-16 08:57:53

My dh works in Leeds and finds the train from Harrogate (free parking at hornbeam park station) a much better option than driving. Alternatively I have friends who use the posh 36 bus service to Leeds.
I too would argue with the old lady posh image of Harrogate. There is loads going on here for all ages.

RupertTheBear Sun 13-Mar-16 09:00:15

We bought in Harrogate many years ago and I haven't kept a particularly close eye on house prices since then but we found there wasn't much difference between prices here and parts of Leeds that were in catchment for a good school.

NisekoWhistler Sun 13-Mar-16 09:07:31

Following closely. I'd be interested to hear which are the less desirable areas of Harrogate if someone can help. Thanks

RupertTheBear Sun 13-Mar-16 09:18:56

I think some areas of Harrogate have an unfairly bad image. When we were buying here we were told to avoid jennyfields, Bilton and starbeck. However, our first house was in starbeck and I really liked it and always felt safe there. I have friends who live in jennyfields and bilton who say the same.
The more central areas and over towards the grammar school and valley gardens are seen as being better areas.

Alasalas2 Sun 13-Mar-16 09:20:36

BikeRunSki Sun 13-Mar-16 09:25:28

^" OH would work in Leeds, drive car so no real need for trains."

Ha ha ha ha.

If you are looking at north west Leeds the drive down the A65 in the morning is horrendous. I would suggest that there is every need for trains.^

This, totally, and that's even before you've found a parking space in Leeds after 7am. Commuting into Leeds by car is not quick or easy, but particularly bad from the A65/A61 Harrogate-Wetherby direction.

I have worked in Leeds city centre for nearly 20 years (but live south), many of my colleagues live happily in Harrogate with young families. This is often the case where one parent works in Leeds and the other in York.

However, the towns and villages along the Wharfedale line - Guiseley, Menston, Apperley Bridge - and Ben Rhydding and Ilkley for the well heeled - seem to be most popular with families.

Saltaire and Shipley on the Airedale line too.

Otley is sought after for Prince Henry's secondary, but not on a train line (but does have a Leeds bus).

North Leeds and north of Leeds is generally extremely "naice", but at a price. Also check flood zones.

BikeRunSki Sun 13-Mar-16 09:28:35

8-4 shift won't miss the rush hour, the others probably will.

Leeds rush hour IME is about 7am-9.30am and 4/4.30-6.30 pm.

Bunbaker Sun 13-Mar-16 09:31:00

Sometimes I think you are me BikeRunSki grin

I used to commute from Guiseley to Hunslet every day. I don't miss that drive at all.

Alasalas2 Sun 13-Mar-16 09:33:05

RupertTheBear Sun 13-Mar-16 09:36:05

My dh always found the parking more of an issue than the driving. He used to be able to do the journey (Harrogate to central Leeds) in an hour as long as he left early enough. Coming home was the same. The traffic moves fine as soon as you are out if the centre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now