Advice on Outdoor Furniture

(8 Posts)
Sarahwhizz Tue 08-Mar-16 07:50:29

Hi all,

I'm considering investing in a new set of outdoor furniture, i've done a lot of research around this and have decided the casual dining style seems like the way to go. I think it would work well in our garden.

Has anyone else had any experience of these types of so called Casual Dining sets? From what i understand the table height is a little bit lower than a normal dining table but not as low as a coffee table. So you can easily eat meals at it as well as relax and entertain, with a cheeky g&t! wink I’m thinking that it might be a nice height to do work at on my laptop as well.

I’m deciding between these two options:

www.outdoorfurniture2u.co.uk/home/91-kettler-palma-corner-set-whitewash.html

www.outdoorfurniture2u.co.uk/home/2-kettler-palma-sofa-set-whitewash.html

Any help would be appreciated, especially from those that have experience of Kettler Casual Dining Sets.

Thank you. smile

Sarahwhizz Tue 08-Mar-16 07:52:02

sorry i should have added, i'm open to info on any other brands other than Kettler. It needs to be tough enough to handle 3 kids as well!

PigletJohn Tue 08-Mar-16 10:55:57

I don't know, but I see it is wicker so presumably will not withstand damp.

May09Bump Tue 08-Mar-16 13:34:49

When I tried these sets I found them uncomfortable - seats too low for the table. I bought the seating version with coffee table and a bench set separately.

I bought my set from Next - similar quality but cost less. It been outdoors for two winters now with covers on and is withstanding the conditions.

Marmitelover55 Tue 08-Mar-16 18:12:18

This is the one we've got - it's fab but maybe not quite what you are looking for:
www.internetgardener.co.uk/product/garden-furniture-sets/royalcraft-cannes-8-seater-black-rattan-cube-set/9722#tab1

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Tue 08-Mar-16 18:40:34

No experience of Kettler, but I would say that buying quality certainly pays. We invested in a Gloster outdoor dining set last Spring and whilst it was bloody expensive by no means cheap, it has stood up to our horrible, wet winter (without covers!) with no issues whatsoever grin

The all-weather rattan (which I guess the Kettler sets linked are) is definitely worth the additional expense - we looked at buying real rattan but it would have had to be brought indoors to over-winter, which is a pita!

I would also advise buying from a reputable dealer as we initially purchased a set online (not eBay), they failed to deliver and we were very lucky to get a refund by threatening them with trading standards. They closed down shortly after. We got ours from a local independent in the end.

Sarahwhizz Wed 09-Mar-16 09:47:03

Thanks for all the advice, i'm really keen on the Kettler ones.
I guess you have to bring the cushions in over night or store in a box somewhere? The website does say the wicker is weatherproof, so thats ok.

I've been recommended Outdoor Furniture 2u by a family friend, it looks like they are a good independant family business, so should be safe.

I agree, i'm sick of buying cheaper sets and them hardly laster a couple of summers. These are at the top of my budget, I just hope we get some nice warm weather this summer.wine

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 09-Mar-16 11:50:54

We have outdoor sofas similar to these. We bought a box to store the cushions which was ginormous, far bigger than DH expected. Turns out he didn't measure it up so I recommend doing that. grin
Despite the box being weather proof and a rain cover the cushions were mildewy after the winter so I recommend having the space to store indoors.

The actual wicker style furniture have weathered really well - two winters now so no problems on that score. Looks brand new apart from the bird droppings and easy to hose down in the Spring. We have a cover which we used last year but never got around to it this year. They tend to take off in high wind so more hassle than they are worth in my experience.

Cleaning the cushions is a huge hassle though so I'd personally run a mile from using this as dining table with small kids though teens can usually manage not to drop food everywhere and knock over drinks.
The other consideration is that when everyone is sitting on a sofa bench together you may need to lift the table into meet them? Which means no-one can get out without disturbing someone unless they are at the edge.

If they are designed as a dining set are the sofa style seats actually deep enough to lounge on. If they are, then you will have the problem above and if not, then there won't be the same space to sprawl out with a G&T.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now