Calling all new conservatory roof owners!!!

(24 Posts)
lelf79 Mon 07-Mar-16 19:04:15

Has anyone had replaced their polycarb conservatory with a new roof in the last few years?
Did you go for glass/solid roof or something else?
Has it made much difference to how usable it is in summer and winter?

Our UPVC conservatory is 6m x 3m and i've had a quote for glass roof today for 10K on the phone. Is that reasonable? We'd love to have an extension but that is completely out of the question due to various reasons so refreshing the old conservatory is the best we can do to make the room usable instead of a junk room

NYCBadger Mon 07-Mar-16 19:49:00

Hi lelf,

I had a quote to replace the polycarbonate on my conservatory and its roughly the same size as you but mine was for £1500. This was through a friend and I was quoted last year. The glass was going to be this new glass that keeps the heat in and is self cleaning. Hope this helps?

Katymac Mon 07-Mar-16 19:56:39

wow there is a bit of a difference in price between the 2 of you....are your decimal points in the right places?

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 07-Mar-16 20:05:55

Yikes! Our conservatory is half the size, but glass roof not poly, and cost about £4k, including installation. Try and find a trade supplier. The local window place wanted £11k for exactly the same job.

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 07-Mar-16 20:06:44

Should clarify, that's for installing the entire conservatory, not just the roof.

GinBunny Mon 07-Mar-16 20:10:50

We had this glass fitted last year and I don't think it's made much difference to the temperature. It's a lot quieter when it rains though. I think ours was about £2k but we had the windows double glazed at the same time by the same company. It does make it feel more of a room and less of a utility and it's amazing during storms!

Badders123 Mon 07-Mar-16 20:16:18

We had a glass roof put on 3m x 3m
It cost £3.5k
That quote seems rather extortionate

lynholmerpark Mon 07-Mar-16 20:26:53

Having a 3x3m conservatory fitted in next few weeks. Glass roof (sloping style) was an extra £1500 compared to poly.

lelf79 Mon 07-Mar-16 20:42:43

Thanks for your replies!
wow, ok it really looks like they were trying to rip me off then shock
I really want to get the conservatory refurbished and the old roof replaced but £10000 for something that doesn't really work doesn't seem worth it if it is still going to be a dumping ground
I've got a few more tradesmen coming in the week so we shall see what they come up with.

Has anyone had a tiled/warm roof retrofitted on their conservatory?

Jenijena Mon 07-Mar-16 20:45:20

Self cleaning can be a bit of a con. Ours isn't pitched high enough to allow the self cleaning to with.

With tiles and underfloor heating, it's usable from 5 degrees outside (ish) and if we bothered to get blinds fitted, would be ok in the summer too, I think.

lelf79 Tue 08-Mar-16 14:03:43

Oh Jenijena thats not good then, what's the pitch on your roof?
Ours is lean to style and i think its at a very low angle almost flat. Would it not be worth getting self cleaning glass then?
Do you have a tint on yours? Wondering what the difference is with the tints, is it just for the colour or does it serve some purpose?

Jenijena Tue 08-Mar-16 19:07:45

It sounds a similar to yours - not flat, but not very high. I think it's because it's fairly wide and for a higher pitch, they'd need more glass than could safely be loaded. I didn't really pay attention at the time, but it would be worth asking the question.

I've seen people with self cleaning which works, it's just even with heavy rain/snow, ours never budges all the rubbish off.

There's a bluish grey tint to ours. I think it keeps a little of the sun out, but difficult to compare IYSWIM...

AgathaF Wed 09-Mar-16 05:11:51

We had ours changed around ten years ago for tinted, self-cleaning glass. It made a huge difference and turned the room into somewhere that we can use every day, winter and summer. The self-cleaning element, whilst not perfect, is good. The tint is a slight blue tint, that isn't obvious when you look at the roof, but it apparently helps keep the conservatory cooler in summer and warmer in winter. It cost around 5k (conservatory size 10' x 16') and was well worth doing.

We're moving house next week and the new place has a conservatory with a poly-carb roof. We're intending changing it to glass as soon as possible.

TheSkiingGardener Wed 09-Mar-16 05:21:46

We had our conservatory roof replaced. It's a large 5m by 2m area and the side. We also had 8 large windows replaced and had to have £1000 worth of scaffolding. The entire job, including scaffolding was £10k. Get another quote!

lelf79 Wed 09-Mar-16 14:35:18

aaaargh, got another 2 quotes today for 8-10K, one from a window company and one from a conservatory company. Is that really the going rate?!!

NYCBadger, JarethTheGoblinKing what type of company did you guys use?

GinBunny Did you have a polycarb roof before or normal glass? what size is your conservatory? what direction does it face?
Would you do it again? Sorry for all the questions but thats exactly the situation i dont want to be in! i cant really afford 10k if it doesn't make much difference to the temperature

AgathaF your comment gives me hope that the glass does work. Did you have a polycarbonate roof before you changed it?

We want ours to be a dining/play room so it really needs to be usable at all times of day

AgathaF Wed 09-Mar-16 15:34:57

lelf yes ours was polycarb before we changed it - and really unusable. We got our roof from a manufacturer that a builder put us in touch with. They made it to fit our existing conservatory (obviously grin) and also fitted it for us. Might be worth trying to find a manufacturing supplier in your area.

orangina01 Wed 09-Mar-16 18:45:15

Hi I have posted about mine before somewhere but can't find thread at the moment. We had a 3x3 square conservatory completely redone last June. We left the wall and rads, but replaced all the windows with A rated, added a lightweight tile roof with plastered interior and two velux windows. It was £12k but now it is usuable all year round, we love it. The roof was by Guardian Warm Roof but installed by a large local company. Hope that helps. I would steer clear of glass honestly, our friends have it with a special coating and it is still too hot and too cold to use all year.

MiaowTheCat Thu 10-Mar-16 07:38:32

Ours is a new conservatory but a plastic roof (blah blah blah something about honeycomb structure and thermal bits that my eyes glazed over at) but it's definitely useable at least through the winter (and I think we'll be OK summer too as the side of the house it is gets the morning sun then is in the shade most of the day) - I've sat in there in the snow quite happily... it was meant as a play room but it's actually so nice in there I've nicked it as a woman-cave (translation I go in there to get some peace to promptly be joined by the kids and ruddy dog anyway).

One side of ours is solid thermal panels though because there was no point glazing it to look onto our fence.

BovrilonToast Fri 11-Mar-16 11:03:12

I've had a warm roof fitted on mine. It makes a huge difference to the heat in the room. It cost 9.5k to have it all done, plastered, electrics etc all in. It's stunning and so much warmer. The people that did it we arseholes though and trashed the floor.

It used to get to 35c in the summer on a 20c day.... and icy in the winter. It's great now and I can't wait for summer now we don't have a giant radiator attached to the back of the house!

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 11-Mar-16 20:26:13

Sorry, missed this. We used a trade supplier. They're the ones who supplied the window company we were initially going to go through (turned out it was the same company!) , so exactly the same product, for 40% of the cost. Try asking local installers and see if they can recommend anyone

lelf79 Wed 16-Mar-16 00:40:54

So we've had a few more quotes for just over 8K for the pilkington active blue glass
the local windows company said they didn't think the structure could take a glass roof so quoted us on new high tech 35mm heatguard polycarb for 5k, miaow is this what you have? how much did yours cost?

bovril i'd love a super insulated warm roof but i dont know if its worth doing if we don't replace all the ancient window panels too and we cant really afford the £££ to do this too

skiing you've had a right bargain with yours envy what company did you use? Do you think they'd like to do ours for that price too grin

Finally i had a rep show me something called a livin roof, apparently completely bespoke so he couldnt even give me an estimate but its like the pic, its a mix of panels that look like dodgy plastic but its insulated like a warm roof then glass panels strategically placed... then there's a livin room which would basically plonk a posh roof lantern onto my conservatory which sounds quite nice but surely i can just ask the other tradesmen to quote for a new shaped glass roof without the poncey name? Would that be less £
Has anyone had any experience of these products?

orangina01 Wed 16-Mar-16 08:28:33

Honestly I would maybe wait until you can do the windows and roof together. There isn't much point replacing the roof if the windows may fail in 5 years. Our warm roof (we did windows at same time) would have been £8k without windows but we did all windows too plus plastering and 2 velux for less than £12k all in. It would not have been right without the new windows, and now it is the room we use most! Good luck, it's hard parting with the money, we have had to put off other things, but it was so worth it.

helpfulhannah2016 Wed 05-Oct-16 10:07:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

bouncydog Wed 05-Oct-16 10:35:10

We've just replaced our 16 year old glass roof with a new pilkington k self cleaning roof. Argon gas in the panels and warm edge spacers. Cost for a Victorian pitched roof 18 X 12 was £5700. This was for the glass and fitting with a 10 year guarantee on the units. To replace the roof itself and enable us to have glazing with a slightly larger gap between the panes was going to be another c£5k. Is your quote just for the glass or for a new plastic roof structure as well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now