new kitchen........tiles Vs splashback

(13 Posts)
sweetheart Fri 04-Mar-16 10:57:57

We've just had a new kitchen fitted and are trying to decide if we should have tiles or a glass splashback. I'd appreciate any thoughts comments on either grin

limesoda Fri 04-Mar-16 12:22:54

Splash backs are easier to clean, so loads of people love them.

Tiles, IMHO, are so beautiful I couldn't bring myself to use anything else. One feature wall with no cabinets of lush tiles all the way to the ceiling, grey grout to make cleaning easier. Granite up stands on the other walls.

sweetheart Fri 04-Mar-16 14:02:58

Our kitchen is very classic and simple. Cream cabinets, black worktop. I am thinking of using the splashback / tiles to inject a big splash of colour.

IpreferToblerone Fri 04-Mar-16 14:12:03

New cream kitchen here too and we went for olive splash backs(Howdens) to inject colour - looks so lovely we are very pleased. Tiles are maybe outdated now I.m.o.

sweetheart Fri 04-Mar-16 14:18:05

Is your splashback just behind the cooker? We were thinking of going all around the kitchen. It's an L shape so 2 walls.

IpreferToblerone Fri 04-Mar-16 16:13:41

All around the kitchen, our cooker is on an island.

Lelivre Fri 04-Mar-16 16:30:12

What like soda said. There are some spectacular tiles out there. This and the worktop is what you end up staring at as you cook and clean. I would only want an upstand that was seamless (composite/Corian/acrylic) if having one. They potentially can be a dirt trap too.

But I would differ and say have the grout that looks the best with the tiles, I have turquoise in one bathroom. I've had really good experiences with grout sealer in a kitchen in my last house where there was acres of off white grout, normal wipe clean required and no staining at all.

Lelivre Fri 04-Mar-16 16:31:05

limesoda

SwedishEdith Fri 04-Mar-16 19:18:30

Oh, yes, a whole wall of just tiles sounds gorgeous. I love tiles - I think they're completely back in fashion. But really, just go with what you like best.

Ragusa Fri 04-Mar-16 19:25:15

Tiles are really not outdated. They are everywhere in the posho mags at the moment.

Lelivre Fri 04-Mar-16 20:57:21

For sweedishedith

SwedishEdith Fri 04-Mar-16 21:07:59

Looks great Lelivre!

Frika Fri 04-Mar-16 21:13:46

Tiles, absolutely. We renovated our kitchen recently with nice old handmade blue tiles we got in France years ago between the cabinets and work surfaces, and it looks wonderful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now