Wiring to sockets can I channel it in before the carpet goes down

(4 Posts)
Lelivre Wed 02-Mar-16 11:48:44

I didn't really notice these when I moved in until I started to clear the rooms for the new carpet. What can I do about it (ideally DIY!) can anyone help please?

Lelivre Wed 02-Mar-16 11:49:52

Picture.
There's 3 or 4 like this upstairs. Yuck

PigletJohn Wed 02-Mar-16 16:40:32

best to do it before the carpet goes down. I would actually ask around for a qualified local electrician, he will be used to that sort of work and have the right tools. The way it has been done is very shoddy.

I hope the floor is old floorboards (planks) which will come up easily especially if they had the sense to use screws not nails. Probably they will have been up before and easy to lift.

Sadly electricians are not usually good at plastering or decorating so perhaps you can do that yourself, it will be fiddly and take time.

Plaster dust and grit from the walls are bad for hoovers. Can you afford a canister vac? If not, use dustpan and brush repeatedly, followed by a damp cloth, before letting your hoover into the room.

Lelivre Thu 03-Mar-16 21:47:33

Thanks so much piglet. I've contacted an electrician now and sent him a photo. I wonder if he may decommission and install new if there is one the opposite side of the wall in the adjoining room. I don't know the rules they work to but I wonder as it looks so badly done, if he might as well start again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now