anyone moved a boiler

(13 Posts)
idiuntno57 Fri 26-Feb-16 19:27:32

We want to move it about 1m. Would need to move pipes and make a hole. When we asked a boiler man a while ago he said it wasn't worth the hassle. But is it really a big hassle/expensive?

Believeitornot Fri 26-Feb-16 20:29:10

Why are you moving it 1m?

SwedishEdith Fri 26-Feb-16 20:34:54

A metre?

idiuntno57 Fri 26-Feb-16 20:58:19

Would be moving it from a location that is otherwise a great feature of the room to an alcove where it would be much more unobtrusive.

Believeitornot Fri 26-Feb-16 20:59:02

A great feature of a room? What room is this?

ouryve Fri 26-Feb-16 21:01:03

Wouldn't it be less faff to wait until it needed replacing to get it moved? Or are you planning to do some major expensive work around the new position. If so, then so long as you're willing to pay for it, then of course it's worth getting done!

wonkylegs Fri 26-Feb-16 21:03:12

We moved a boiler from a fireplace to a side wall about 1.5m but we were replacing at the same time and it would have been actually harder to replace in the original location (change in flue regulations)
As ours was part of a renewal of the heating system it's hard to comment on costs and hassle but it's worked out fab for us. I would ask for quotes and then look at it from there.

AnnieOnnieMouse Fri 26-Feb-16 21:08:18

It depends on the direction it is being moved, in relation to the gas pipe and water pipes that are going to and from it. It will likely mean lifting floorboards upstairs, making good afterwards, etc. It's up to you if it's worth the hassle; all the plumber has to decide is how much to charge. We had a new one installed in our garage, and an old one removed from the kitchen, but the old one was about 18 years old. DH did all the water plumbing, plumber just did the gas part of it, but then we do all our own stuff like that.

uptomyeyes Fri 26-Feb-16 21:10:46

We have done this twice - on both occasions we were replacing the boiler, so can't say what the "move" cost was compared to the overall. It wasn't a hassle on either occasion. Definately agree with pp who said wait until it needs to be replaced.

idiuntno57 Fri 26-Feb-16 21:22:26

It's in the kitchen. Which is so old and broken that has to be replaced soon (35 yrs+). Boiler only replaced a couple of years ago but is in the middle of a beautiful fireplace.

lalalonglegs Fri 26-Feb-16 21:47:15

I moved one about 2m - I paid my plumber about £350 for the additional pipework and reinstalling and retesting it all. I think I had the system powerflushed at the same time which probably added a couple of hundred to the bill so maybe £600 all in? From memory it only took a (long) day - maybe he came back for a bit the day after, I'm a bit hazy about the details but it wasn't outrageously expensive. It was a couple of years ago and we were ripping out the kitchen anyway so it wasn't a particular problem moving units out of the way and pulling up the floor.

ouryve Fri 26-Feb-16 21:52:28

I think you need to find another boiler man who actually wants the work. It would be silly to replace your kitchen, then move the boiler in several years time.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Sat 27-Feb-16 01:04:19

We paid the original installers £600 to have our (oil fired) boiler removed from the leaking and literally collapsing outbuilding that the stupid PO had seen fit to install it in two years previously.......but that was just the cost to take it out! They wanted to charge a similar amount to reinstall it in a slightly different location in our new extension we planned to build on roughly the same footprint. In the end we used a local much cheaper oil heating engineer chappy. That was in 2012.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now