Cost to remove Log Burning Stove

(7 Posts)
barsiem Fri 26-Feb-16 19:18:46

Hey all,

Looking for some guidance please. We are looking to remove our wood burning stove from our kitchen (don't try to talk us out of it... our minds made up :D ).

How much should it cost to remove and make safe? Been quoted £600 a couple of days ago but struggling to get any other quotes. And advice would be appreciated thanks

Loumate666 Fri 26-Feb-16 21:07:07

Not trying to talk you out of it but...

we were going to do this as part of some recent building works and in a nutshell, although I could find a company to move it (similar cost to you as it happens), they were unwilling to issue us with a HETAS certificate as the burner wasn't on the HETAS register. Our only option was therefore to ditch the old £3k Jothul burner and buy a new burner from (guess where!) a HETAS approved company. Maybe not a problem for you if you don't intend on selling anytime soon or aren't too worried about have the installation approved but in our case, the building inspector wouldn't sign off the overall build without the HETAS cert.

I ended up letting the old burner go for a few hundred quid for someone to install in their garden workshop...still annoys me as I loved that burner!

barsiem Sun 28-Feb-16 17:57:21

Hi there. Thanks for the advice. It's definitely going as we've used it once in 3 & 1/2 years and we want the space for some kitchen units. It's OK though as we have another one in the lounge for cosy evenings.

Given no-one has jumped up & down at the cost I'm assuming it's fairly reasonable. Will probably go ahead with the quote I have

DoreenLethal Sun 28-Feb-16 17:59:19

If you are in the midlands, and want to donate it to a charity project I'll come and take it off your hands...once it has been removed.

SweetieDrops Sun 28-Feb-16 18:03:13

Marking my place as I hate my log burner. It was there when we moved in and I can't be arsed with the effort of it, I'd like to replace it with a gas fire.

barsiem Sun 28-Feb-16 20:28:31

That's a kind offer Doreen but no thanks.....

HollyMaingate Mon 29-Feb-16 10:10:29

It's just a steel/cast iron box connected to a bit of flue pipe then maybe a liner up the chimney - if you're removing it there's nothing really 'unsafe' about it. Surely just disconnect and remove and if you want, seal up the hole that's left. 30 mins work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now