Pantry design - first world problem alert...

(8 Posts)
TheWildRumpyPumpus Fri 26-Feb-16 12:45:01

If you have a pantry, please could I see a picture of your beautifully arranged shelves for some inspiration?

We are designing ours at the moment and can't decide anything - moveable shelves, wineracks/fridge - marble counter top?

Does anyone keep small appliances like toaster, mixers etc in there too?

Our space is reasonable size - 2.6 X 1.7m with a sliding door access.

TheLesserSpottedBee Sat 27-Feb-16 21:29:20

I think Pinterest is your new best friend for this.

I technically have a pantry which is one wall with Ikea Ivar shelving units. I do love it when it is fully stocked as it looks pretty <OCD issues> grin

As we shop at Costco we buy stuff in bulk so the shelves are stocked with bottled drinks for school lunches ie water, fizzy water, mini apple juices, part baked baguettes/ciabattas/pittas, cereals, mayonnaise, salsa etc

My pantry is not in my kitchen, it is where we store excess items. Once in the kitchen all cereals are decanted into plastic tubs to allow easy pouring for the children.

TheLesserSpottedBee Sat 27-Feb-16 21:31:27

Oh, and it has a larder freezer in it for batch cooking and stashing the food we buy in bulk from Costco such as chicken breasts and salmon. As it isn't part of the kitchen we don't keep anything appliance wise in it.

I would recommend adjustable shelving for when your needs change.

yellowbirdie Sun 28-Feb-16 10:01:24

Watching with interest! We are currently designing our kitchen and have decided to take out a couple of tall cupboards, push back into the utility a little to create a walk in pantry. Your design thoughts are sounding a little more sophisicated than ours - no moveable shelves or marble counter tops! I agree Houzz and pinterest are your friend for inspiration. I just want floor to ceiling shelving. Our wine fridge will go in the kitchen, we will store small appliances we don't use often in the pantry.

BikeGeek Sun 28-Feb-16 10:15:41

Our microwave is in the pantry, it doesn't see a lot of use so better out the way than cluttering up a work surface.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 28-Feb-16 22:03:04

If you intend to keep bread maker / mixers etc in the pantry set up for easy use it might be wise to add in a small prep sink too !

TheWildRumpyPumpus Mon 29-Feb-16 15:07:08

Pinterest is brilliant! I am drooling over some of the American pantry layouts on there - you could move a whole family into some of them with room to spare!

We have a sink in the space at the moment as its the old utility room but I was considering ripping it out and just lining the walls with shelving.

fieldfare Mon 29-Feb-16 16:06:17

I have pantry envy!

We had a lovely pantry when I was small. U shaped shelving. Chest freezer on one wall. The shelves above it had all the infrequently used electrical items. There was heaps of space for all the home canning and preserves my Mum would make as well as the dry goods she would stockpile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now