Looking to move to Bromley

(19 Posts)
Vikson Thu 18-Feb-16 23:19:30

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Bromley from East London as we are expecting our first child in May.

We are looking for a 3-4 bed house/flat with a budget of 600k. Both of us are contractors so will have to be flexible to commute anywhere in London and hence good transport links are important - currently working in Canary Wharf. Another important thing in the future for us would be a good primary school for our daughter.

Our knowledge of the area is limited to online search, which highly praises Bromley for good transport links, schools and safety. We do intend to visit the area during the weekends to get the actual feel of it.

Any pointers to the best available areas within our budget and the ones to avoid will be highly appreciated.

dontcallmelen Fri 19-Feb-16 16:43:43

Hi OP have a look at Beckenham really family friendly has lots of leisure facilities, green spaces the high street is lovely lots of independent shops/cafe, has waitrose/sainsburys/lidl & good transport links.
Would throughly recommend it, pm me if you need any further info.

Peyia Fri 19-Feb-16 17:50:32

I'm in Beckenham and it has outstanding primary and secondary schools. Beckenham is in Bromley borough, which is fairly large. Bromley it self is fine but unless you can afford the big old houses on the set back roads it can feel a bit 'townie' as the shopping centre is there.

Beckenham has loads of tran stations too going to Victoria, Waterloo and London Bridge. And a wonderful village feel. Parks, cafés etc.

Plans for the bakerloo line to be extended down here too but might have retired by then!

Peyia Fri 19-Feb-16 17:52:33

Basically what melon said!

ClaraBorne Fri 19-Feb-16 17:56:39

I'd second Beckenham too, transport links are great but you can be in the countryside within 15 minutes You'll get a lot for your money too (for London that is!)

Vikson Fri 19-Feb-16 19:30:15

Thanks Melen, Peyia and Clara.

We are spending a day in Bromley this Sunday and will definitely check the Beckenham area. Are there any specific roads/areas in Beckenham that are more desirable than the others? And which are the best primary schools and what is their catchment area like?

Peyia Fri 19-Feb-16 23:21:58

The school I was referring to is called Balgowan. Look at where this is on the map and if you have time walk along some of the roads nearby. There are plenty of other schools, your budget will definitely get you something.

Period properties are a premium however. We were very lucky with ours last year bagged it for 395k, double fronted Victorian. There are gems to be had.

Look around Clock house for cheaper stock.

Good luck and I'm due in July. PM if you move and interested in being a cafe mumma.

Dungandbother Fri 19-Feb-16 23:31:04

Schools places are really pressured in Bromley boro.
Check distances very carefully.

Your budget should get you just the right place though. Also look at the commutefrom.co.uk website.
Not sure of the best links to Canary Wharf from Bromley. Most go to Victoria which isn't the best.

Peyia Fri 19-Feb-16 23:33:28

I would have thought London bridge and then pick up the jubilee line? Or stop at Lewisham and catch the DLR? Could be wrong though.

skippy67 Sat 20-Feb-16 07:36:52

Hayes is a lovely area. Outstanding primaries and Hayes secondary school has recently been accredited world class status.m.newsshopper.co.uk/news/13875115.PICTURED__Hayes_School_celebrates_achieving_world_class_status/ There's a lovely pub in old Hayes called the George, and good links to London via Bromley South or from Hayes station. I love it here.

silversixpence Sat 20-Feb-16 12:17:03

School places in Beckenham are hard to come by in the sought after schools like Balgowan. Some popular schools have had bulge classes recently but there is still more demand than supply by a long way.

A lot of people live in Chislehurst and change at Lewisham for Canary wharf, it is a branch line but seems to work well for commuting.

We live in Penge which is amazing for transport links to London and should get you something decent in your budget. We just sold our lovely house (4 bed Victorian terrace) at just over that and are moving a few roads down into Beckenham.

Peyia Sat 20-Feb-16 12:53:35

I'm finding many areas are a lottery with Schools. You just have to buy within catchment and hope for the best, there will never be a guarantee (unless there is a sibling and you don't forget to apply for a place!)

Good luck Vik! Would be good to hear how you get on.

And yes, you get a lot more for your money in Penge but it doesn't have the gentile high street feel. I couldn't be without the pound shop however wink

Are you moving for schools Silver?

silversixpence Sat 20-Feb-16 12:58:30

Penge is still our local high street as we are literally moving a few minutes walk away! We were one street away from the BR3 postcode before. DD will go to the same school as DS1 as it is the same distance away.

Before you rule out Penge, have a look at Alexandra Nurseries, Crystal Palace Park and Penge Tourist Board on facebook. On the face of it, it seems run down but regeneration is happening quickly. Personally I prefer Penge to Bromley as it has a real community/family feel.

Peyia Sat 20-Feb-16 13:25:12

Yes I really like the housing stock on the roads surrounding and leading up to Homesbase.

Some nice quiet roads just before Sainsbury's too.

We couldn't afford to buy anything there. We stumbled on a bargain in Beckenham. Love Crystal Palace but very pricey due to the overground and high street becoming more gentile.

Beckenham doesn't have the fruit and veg market too so it does have positives, certainly wasn't trying to knock Penge. I grew up there having gone to James Dixon wink

PettsWoodParadise Sat 20-Feb-16 14:33:19

Petts Wood is a lovely area. Great community feel and good transport options. Crofton is great primary school. The East side of Petts Wood is prettier than the West (although west siders may disagree with me!) so don't judge it soley by the side you see when you drive from Bickley to Orpington, which has a great selection of shops but isn't all of Petts Wood.

dontcallmelen Sat 20-Feb-16 15:50:49

Hi OP & waves to fellow neighbours, also Eden park & Elmers end are very pleasant, Marian Vine school is very good & Unicorn is a new primary I believe, also Bromley road school which is near Beckenham junction or Alexandra school which is near Kent house station is excellent.
I second Penge some lovely housing stock & is becoming more gentrified by the day, accordingly houses prices rising.
Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Peyia Sat 20-Feb-16 16:10:08

Ahaha obvious iPhone typo. I obviously meant gentrified. Slaps hand to forehead blush

Elizabeth267 Sun 21-Feb-16 08:20:02

Try "Chatterton Village", BR2. it's a ten minute walk to bromley south station and easy to get to Canary Wharf (I get bus to lewisham then DLR as it suits me best that way). It has a lovely villagey feel, has a great primary school, Raglan, and really excellent pre schools. 2 parks I walking Distance, Whitehall rec and Norman park.

Elizabeth267 Sun 21-Feb-16 08:20:21

I'll pm you too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now