Best time of year to buy a house?

(6 Posts)
shopaholic85 Thu 18-Feb-16 17:16:07

We have sold our flat in London and about to complete. However, after 4 months of searching we are still struggling to find somewhere to buy. Our search area spans across Somerset and Wiltshire, we are willing to compromise and have viewed/offered on a number of properties. But there just doesn't seem to be enough supply to meet the demand.

Is this just the wrong time of year to buy? Are we likely to have more luck in the Spring?

LyndaNotLinda Thu 18-Feb-16 18:10:01

A lot more property should go on the market in spring. I waited until March to put my last place on - days are longer so you can see it in daylight after work plus the garden looks better later in the year.

From the buyer's perspective, I have found that's it's useful to see a place with full leaf growth in terms of light, views etc.

Being ready to go should put you in a good position smile

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 18-Feb-16 18:13:29

You are in a fantastic position. When I worked for an EA years ago we werent allowed to take holidays Jan-March as it was deemed to be the busiest time. I'm not sure whether that's still the situation, it was quite a while back.

Madbengalmum Thu 18-Feb-16 18:41:52

Generally feb/march/april are the busiest buying times

shopaholic85 Thu 18-Feb-16 18:47:04

Thank you all. Your replies have given me hope. We are looking at 3-bed family homes, so can't imagine people will want to move in the middle of the academic year. Fingers crossed that our dream home is just around the corner!

jevoudrais Thu 18-Feb-16 20:31:50

Always hits up around Easter. Market has been dead in my home county (not many properties coming on priced to actually sell) since July.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now