Help - wwyd to hide some pipes?

(4 Posts)
HereIAm20 Tue 16-Feb-16 19:44:04

We are having our kitchen redone in april - plans all drawn up etc and ready to get going when builders are free. However today I discovered that there are some pipes behind units (which will be going) and running vertically down a wall that was meant to be a blank wall. I don't want to box in anything to thick as the wall is going to have nothing on so that we can accommodate a large island. The two pipes are close together and I was wondering whether something like a radiator cover with thin shelving above would be ok?

I have also seen some magazine rack type things that perhaps I could have custom made to put cookery books in. Anyone have any other ideas?

filigree2015 Wed 17-Feb-16 09:04:43

Could you potentially buy a tall unit from your kitchen range and cut the back down to make it shallower? We did this, but to hide boiler pipes, which were probably bigger / more obvious than yours. Or you could consider fitting a false wall, but you'd lose a bit of width of your kitchen, or potentially chasing the pipes into the wall if you're plastering etc anyway? Again, probably depends on how chunky your pipes are.

FishWithABicycle Wed 17-Feb-16 09:11:44

If you have budget to spare then getting them chased into the wall will give the best finish. Anything like a radiator cover/shelving/magazine rack will take away much more space than boxing in. But tbh once painted the same colour as the wall behind having a pipe on an otherwise blank wall isn't that much of a problem so if it were me I'd do nothing. You'll barely notice the pipes once everything is in place.

BrieAndChilli Wed 17-Feb-16 09:21:55

I would box them in completely to be honest. We live in a (rented) house and the walls are concrete so all the pipes are exposed. I hate it, they get full of stuff behind and on o the ones in the kitchen gets condensation on it and then mould, we reliant and bleach as wipe it and it doesn't make any difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now