Buying new build house - should we get a survey?

(5 Posts)
FiveStar Mon 15-Feb-16 20:38:25

Hello I am looking for advice/ experiences about buying new build detached houses. We are buying one without a mortgage and therefore have no lender requiring us to get a survey. Is it necessary/ wise to still get some kind of survey/ condition report on the property? I know we have 10 years NHBC cover, but I saw somewhere that NHBC won't cover you for defects which would have been apparent on a survey - not sure if I read this accurately though. Any advice please? Would rather spend money on a (possibly unnecessary) survey than find out some horrendous (costly) problem later on. But on the other hand, the developers (Bovis) must have had to meet various regulations to get the final (built) properties approved for building controls etc. Thanks for any help.

Tummyrumbled Tue 16-Feb-16 00:03:19

I have known people to use a snag list or professional snagger for new build houses. No experience of it though.

LaFlottes Tue 16-Feb-16 00:12:59

Hi - I think there are a lot of different opinions about a survey on a brand new house, but as mentioned above, a professional snagger is a very good investment.

We have used one and he has picked up loads that we wouldn't have.

There are companies on line, but maybe speak to your neighbours for a recommendation. We were recommended a local guy who has snagged loads on the development and has a good relationship with the site manager.

FiveStar Tue 16-Feb-16 09:54:29

Thanks for the replies. Separate to snagging, we need to decide if we get anyone to look at the structure of the house i.e. a surveyor? Anyone any experience? Thanks

CoperCabana Tue 16-Feb-16 10:01:48

I have bought two new builds and I think on both occasions, we got the basic valuation survey. The only issues we have had are snags, not building / structural. If we hadn't needed a valuation, I would have probably spent money on the professional snagger instead. My advice though would be to read the NHBC guarantee very carefully in case as you seem to recall, a complete lack of survey will invalidate the guarantee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now