Help, floor is wet under the laminate

(10 Posts)
Roseberrry Mon 15-Feb-16 19:49:31

Just discovered our washing machine has been slightly leaking and now the laminate next to it has raised with damp. Can I fix this or are we going to need new flooring putting in?

PigletJohn Mon 15-Feb-16 19:54:00

the laminate has to come up. You can use a bolster, doesn't matter if you damage it, it is going in the skip. The sooner you get it up the sooner the floor can start to dry. Is it boards, concrete or <vom> chipboard?

LadyB49 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:04:25

We had laminate on concrete, leak from piping went unnoticed so laminate started to lift. Had to lift the lot. We took the opportunity to put down tiling and just sorry we hadn't done tiling in the first place.

JT05 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:04:47

Same thing happened in our en suite, a very small, long term leak from cold water supply. Had to rip up whole floor, dry out and start again! Sorry.

Roseberrry Mon 15-Feb-16 21:53:39

It's board. We'll see what the damage is tomorrow morning sad
Is it easy enough to lift? Any tips you think I might need?

PigletJohn Mon 15-Feb-16 22:12:54

do you mean chipboard? what colour?

Roseberrry Mon 15-Feb-16 22:24:19

It's laminate boards, if that's a thing? It looks like dark wood but it's not. Hopefully you'll know what I mean!

TremoloGreen Mon 15-Feb-16 22:43:21

Think PJ means the floor underneath the laminate?

Roseberrry Tue 16-Feb-16 07:10:44

Oh right, I'm such an idiot.
I think it's concrete. Only lived here a few months.

MiaowTheCat Tue 16-Feb-16 07:17:23

If it's concrete you should be ok - our washer was leaking for bloody months (DH's shite plumbing) and when the laminate came up the floor was surprisingly fine recently. The laminate will be a lost cause though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now