I would love to live in (do up?) an old school or Post Office or Church or similar...

(21 Posts)
luckiestgirlintheworld Wed 10-Feb-16 20:41:04

Is this wildly unrealistic?

Does anyone know of any websites that list unusual properties for sale?

In four years, (when my DSS goes to uni) we are moving as a family to a very specific area in Kent (where all my family live). So I have time on my side, as I know four years ahead where I want to move.

However, I would love to live in an unusual property. I'm just not sure yet of the extent of work I want to put in in doing it up. Perhaps buy an unusual property that has already been made into a house. Perhaps buy a building and renovate completely (obviously hiring the necessary contractors).

Has anyone done similar? Does anyone know where I could start looking for such a property?

Greydog Wed 10-Feb-16 20:46:28

I saw this in a magazine, and went to buy a lottery ticket in the vain hope - I love this - www.berrimaneaton.co.uk/component/property/9624

FellOutOfBedTwice Wed 10-Feb-16 20:49:32

I would like to do this and go on George Clarke's Amazing Spaces and then throw myself naked at George. I love in particular the church conversions they do on that show- they're always spectacular.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 10-Feb-16 20:50:52

Google the SPAB buildings for sale list.
Actually, join SPAB - a few years of membership will help you get some sense of what doing up old buildings can be like, and if you do go ahead they can be very useful.

FellOutOfBedTwice Wed 10-Feb-16 20:50:55

Greydog that's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind. That's beautiful.

lalalonglegs Wed 10-Feb-16 20:57:15

See, I think most church conversions look like, um, churches with domestic furniture looking awkward and out of scale in them. I wouldn't mind a really good industrial space to convert though smile.

wonkylegs Wed 10-Feb-16 21:06:22

These websites should keep you busy for a bit:
uniquepropertybulletin.co.uk

www.unusualhomes.co.uk

lighthousesforsale.co.uk

renovateme.co.uk

www.wreckoftheweek.co.uk/?m=1

[]https://www.churchofengland.org/clergy-office-holders/pastoralandclosedchurches/closedchurches/closed-churches-available.aspx]]

wonkylegs Wed 10-Feb-16 21:07:03

www.churchofengland.org/clergy-office-holders/pastoralandclosedchurches/closedchurches/closed-churches-available.aspx

SwedishEdith Wed 10-Feb-16 21:12:38

Have you just been watching the £100k house or something programme?

I quite liked what they did but couldn't help thinking that they'd just lost an upstairs room.

And I agree that church conversions just like someone's moved into a church - don't like the split tall windows.

luckiestgirlintheworld Thu 11-Feb-16 09:09:49

Thanks all, I'll have a look at the suggestions.
Yes, all partly inspired by 100k House, and also I'm a Grand Designs addict, and Amazing Spaces (Hands off George Clarke - he is MINE)
But also something I've been thinking about for 3 years. I'm a SAHM but my DC will be just off to school at that age so I would love to project manage a renovation. I'm just not sure whether to limit that to DIY and interior design, or all out conversion.

wonkylegs Thu 11-Feb-16 09:57:00

You can have George, I know him (won't say how) but I will say he comes across better on telly than in real life.

FellOutOfBedTwice Thu 11-Feb-16 12:16:40

wonky why would you do that? You've shattered all my illusions <sticks fingers in my ears>

I'm going to pretend I didn't hear any of that and that he's a very nice man as well as very handsome and with a sexy accent grin

mummycabz Thu 11-Feb-16 16:53:42

Im in pembrokeshire Theres loads of churches and schools for sale around where i live, just this month i have seen a primary school and a church for sale for £50k, both beautiful buildings, id love the school as its got decent size grounds too but my OH wont go for it!

potap123 Thu 11-Feb-16 16:57:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummycabz Thu 11-Feb-16 17:00:06

http://m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/31965848

Love this 1! Such a nice looking building

luckiestgirlintheworld Thu 11-Feb-16 18:12:41

God I can't believe they're so cheap!

missmeg3leg Thu 11-Feb-16 18:18:02

Also looking to renovate something "unusual" hopefully making plans later this year.........but think this would be a bit too big a scale! Lovely building though!....

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39399018.html

SquidgeyMidgey Thu 11-Feb-16 18:21:22

We live in a barn conversion, relatively mainstream, but you have to constantly compromise (that word) on what you want in terms of furniture, soft furnishings etc because of wonky rooflines, weird windows, planning restrictions... You have to love the building to be able to do that without it cheesing you off so hold out for the right one.

luckiestgirlintheworld Thu 11-Feb-16 19:04:47

missmeg - that's gorgeous! Massive though. Bugger to heat.

I can't understand how they're so cheap though- all you'd have to do is knock a few pews out and stick some furniture in and you've got an (open plan) super cheap house.

Chasingsquirrels Thu 11-Feb-16 19:12:27

that latest one is cheap because it (i) doesn't actually have planning permission to convert and (ii) is in Wales.
What you pay in Wales won't be what you pay in Kent!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Thu 11-Feb-16 19:59:38

You would die of cold in the open plan, or spend many thousands on heating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now