Grey kitchen

(16 Posts)
Maplessglobe Mon 08-Feb-16 09:14:21

Hello
Thinking of painting the kitchen units in our new house little Greene French grey. Anyone got this? We are lucky to have plenty of light in the kitchen so I'm hoping it won't be gloomy. Shall I go for it, or chicken out and go the safe route of white?
Thanks.

iamnotaponceyloudperson Mon 08-Feb-16 09:57:56

We have a grey kitchen, its lovely, although I can't remember what colour paint was used though, without digging around in the shed for the remaining pots. Its a darker grey with mainly white walls and one green olive type colour which sounds odd but really works. Its a very light room too. We went for grey because in a room with lots of sun white really shows up any marks.

bojorojo Mon 08-Feb-16 13:38:37

I have Lamp Room Grey by F and B with Wimborne White units in the island. I like the combination of the two with Greg speckled granite. I have a large, very light, kitchen. All grey can be a bit bland.

Lebranic Mon 08-Feb-16 13:50:56

We are thinking of doing exactly the same thing! Have spent a fortune on testers. Initially wanted hicks blue but got scared. Would be interested to hear if anyone has got French grey too

SleepyRoo Mon 08-Feb-16 14:04:24

Grey IS the safe route. It's the magnolia of our day. Round where we live all kitchens are grey, by law (apparently). Navy blue is next, I'm told.

AesopsMables Mon 08-Feb-16 17:59:21

I have been a nightmare for our kitchen suppliers. Have gone through the whole spectrum of colours from both F&B and Little Greene. I started out adamant that I did not want Grey. 1st Choice: Taupe and Marsala then decided it would be too brown so 2nd Choice: Downpipe (almost black) Island with White on other two runs. 3rd Choice: Hicks blue Island with Off white on other two runs.

New kitchen now opened up so can judge the light better and have to commit to colours by next week....Now looking at Lead Grey Island and Soft white for other unit runs grin

I think the LG French Grey Pale is quite cold looking in a north facing room, if your room is really sunny though it should look lovely.

Navy blue and off white looks beautiful.........Mmm

Maplessglobe Mon 08-Feb-16 18:10:41

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts.
I've heard that, too, sleepy but I do like it. I don't really agree it's particularly safe though, as it can look cold, as aesop says. I think it's tricky to get right.
bojo I also suggested white with grey but DH is not sure.
DH is really keen on grey. The floors in our old house were painted very pale grey and I loved them but they did show up every bit of fluff.

Titsywoo Mon 08-Feb-16 18:14:31

What floor do you have? That will make a big difference.

staverton Mon 08-Feb-16 18:17:01

Yep. My kitchen is French grey LG. it's lovely! V warm and versatile colour. Will ping you a pic on email if you message me your email address.

Maplessglobe Mon 08-Feb-16 20:38:48

Thanks guys.
titsy it's oak flooring, quite rustic style.
staverton thanks, have pmd you.

silversixpence Mon 08-Feb-16 22:06:51

We have also painted ours in Little Greene French Grey, its beautiful and transformed our dull brown wood units. I can also send a photo if you message me.

Maplessglobe Tue 09-Feb-16 08:04:25

Thanks, silver, I will do.

Maplessglobe Tue 09-Feb-16 19:47:23

Hmmm the French grey looks quite pale in some pics. Did anyone get it and wish they'd gone darker?

silversixpence Tue 09-Feb-16 23:16:48

Lamp Room Grey would be a good choice if going slightly darker. Or you could try one of the Lead shades, think there is a light version.

staverton Wed 10-Feb-16 01:10:04

Personally no, I love it. It's easy to accessorise with bright pops of colour and I think darker grey is ubiquitous and on the way out
Have a look at different grey kitchens on Pinterest though

Maplessglobe Wed 10-Feb-16 05:01:35

I'm quite happy with pale grey, but DH is bugging me that it'll be 'almost white'.
staverton yours is beautiful! Some of the houzz pictures do look white though... hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now