Sliding doors - any recommendations/price guidelines?

(11 Posts)
Cacofonix Thu 04-Feb-16 14:44:09

We need to source sliding doors and wonder if anyone have any recommendations. We want large three panel ones. I have been looking at sunflex and sunfold. We are in SE London.

Also if you had something similar what did it cost you (if you don't mind sharing)?

alaska721 Thu 04-Feb-16 15:44:34

I'm in SE4 London and I recently had sliding doors installed in my new kitchen extension by Slimline Aluminium. I've got three large panels in the SL17 model (the profiles are only 17mm wide).
They cost £8400 (ex VAT) and this included the survey, supply and installation. The doors had to be installed by the Slimline builders (they don't let other builders install their products).
Their quote for the doors was the highest I received but they also quoted for my structural glass roof (which was cheaper than other suppliers) so the cost was offset.
The doors themselves looks amazing and I'm really pleased with them (as is my architect).
All the glazing was delivered on time. Personally I can't say what Slimline were like to deal with as it was my architect that was dealing with them. I know he has got them to quote for other projects he is working on since my doors were installed.

Cacofonix Thu 04-Feb-16 18:31:40

Thanks alaska. How long was their lead time and did they come out and measure or work off architect drawings? I am not sure how early I have to look at them and get quotes. We are about to tender to builders so I am quite organised panicking I will forget but I guess you can't wait until the building is up as these doors can sometimes take 12 weeks to be made and fitted. Their website looks good.

sacbina Thu 04-Feb-16 22:14:48

We had some slide and pivot doors from sunset kerfuffle doors in Luton. They're not bifolds but not sliding although they do all slide out of the way. Narrow frames, work really well.

sacbina Thu 04-Feb-16 22:15:44

Bloody auto correct

Should read Sunseeker doors

alaska721 Fri 05-Feb-16 08:22:32

Slimline did come and measure up once our builders had prepared the openings. I believe for my glass roof it was essential they measured rather than worked off the architect's drawings. For the sliding doors it may have been possible for them to work off the drawings (it's worth asking them).

Their lead time was 8-10 weeks but that was for everything I ordered (sliding doors, structural glass roof and an additional glazed panel). The sliding doors were actually installed around week 6 or 7. The glass roof was installed in week 10.

I was originally going to go for the SL20 doors but I switched over to the SL17 because the lead time was quicker (SL17 doors manufactured in the U.K whereas SL20 made abroad).

Cacofonix Fri 05-Feb-16 10:25:24

That's very helpful, thanks.

PragmaticWench Fri 05-Feb-16 14:30:12

We're looking at Smart Visio glide, having seen them in a friend's new extension. They're not cheap but all of the builders we have dealt with rate them as very good. I'm quite excited about the integral blinds!

Vbelloc Thu 31-Mar-16 18:31:54

hi Alaska721,
What was the size of your 3 panels?
Thx

Cacofonix Tue 02-Aug-16 19:10:59

Just came back to say, in case anyone is interested, that Aluminium Slimline quoted for 3 panel slimline sliding doors yes they are taking the fucking piss and the quote was a whopping £33,451 inc VAT. That's over £20 000 more than any other quote we have had (Sunflex and Sunfold - so premium brands). Jeez. I am guessing people pay that but I can't see how they justify it! Our whole aperture is approx 7m by 2.7m - so pretty big, but still....

Cacofonix Tue 02-Aug-16 19:17:19

Sorry got the words the wrong way around: Slimline Aluminium. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now