Are shared drives/parking areas always a nightmare?!

(12 Posts)
Wishful80sMontage Tue 02-Feb-16 19:23:02

Looking at a house on newbuiod estate. There's a couple of plots I'm interested in both 4 bed detached homes but both the parking is in front of a row of garages the have two tandem spaces in front of each garage.
Although the houses are lovely and ideal for us location, size, schools etc I'm reluctant due to the potential for parking issues.
Is it always a problem? There is 2 spaces designated per house which is clear in the deeds/plans but obviously visitors wouldn't be aware iykwim.

NeedsAMousekatool Tue 02-Feb-16 19:24:49

I lived in a flat with a shared drive with 2 different sets of neighbours for 7 years and never had a single issue. Like anything it's luck of the draw as to whether your neighbours are dickheads or not.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 02-Feb-16 19:29:23

Not a nightmare if neighbours are reasonable and you are easygoing! We had a shared drive in the old house. Neighbours were lovely and sometimes they parked on our side which occasionally was inconvenient but not enough to even mention, knowing that if for any reason we had parked on theirs they would have been chilled about it. Current house - shared drive which is mostly ours and sometimes they want visitors to park on our bit and are punctilious about asking.
But the neighbours on the other side in our old house were wankers and thank fuck we weren't sharing with them because you just know they would have managed to make it an issue.

gingercat02 Tue 02-Feb-16 19:30:36

We have a shared drive with 2 of our neighbours. No bother what so ever. I don't know why there would be. Visitors usually park on the street.

Duckdeamon Tue 02-Feb-16 19:36:50

I wouldn't, BiL and SiL have this kind of set up and it's a PITA.

BackforGood Tue 02-Feb-16 19:45:25

It gives me the rage that housing developments are allowed without sufficient parking. If a family can afford a new 4 bed detached, it's statistically likely they will already have 2 cars each before visitors. The planners need to deal with it! My friend lives on a new(ish) estate with beautiful 'exectutive' homes, and the parking is impossible - it would be a total nightmare if ever a fire engine needed to get down their road.

<and breathe>

However, as everyone says, if you have decent neighbours it can work fine, but the thing is, you won't know how it's going to pan out until after you've bought it. Even then, the first neighbours can be great and then they move on and the next lot, less so.

greenfolder Tue 02-Feb-16 19:47:15

We have a shared drive with neighbours. Never had a single issue. But we are both highly reasonable considerate people.

peggyundercrackers Tue 02-Feb-16 19:49:22

I wouldn't again, one of my old houses had parking like this and there was trouble over them every single month, wasn't the residents but was there friend/family/other visitors.

sleepyhead Tue 02-Feb-16 19:58:02

I live in a flat which has a shared car park and we've never had any problems.

I can see how problems could occur - the spaces aren't allocated and there wouldn't be enough for everyone if some flats had more than one car - but it's not an area where everyone owns a car and there's plenty of on-street parking for visitors at weekends / meters during the week.

I think problem starts when you get people who have work vans, private cars and older children with cars.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 02-Feb-16 20:01:44

We have a shared driveway with neighbours. It has been absolutely fine. But I wouldn't buy a house like it again; I can see that if you don't particularly get on with your neighbours it could be very problematic.

Wishful80sMontage Tue 02-Feb-16 20:02:13

Absolutely backforgood these houses are all 300k plus and there's no driveways in front of your own house it's crazy but that how it seems to be on most of the developments near me. We're moving from a house with a nightmare neighbour so I'm very cautious about it happening again as its so stressful.
There is one other house option on the site where parking wouldn't be an issue but it overlooks an industrial site carpark so not the most attractive views from the garden-but it may be the lesser if two evils if parking is constantly going to cause problems.

CwtchMeQuick Tue 02-Feb-16 21:02:57

I've only ever lived in houses or flats with shared parking. 3 flats with shared car parks and 1 house with a shared drive for 3 houses. It's never been a problem. I've always had allocated spaces though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now