Which loft conversion layout would you choose?

(41 Posts)
Whichplace Sat 30-Jan-16 16:47:04

We are having the loft in our bog-standard Victorian terrace converted to 2 beds and a bathroom in the next few months. We've been given 2 possible layouts by the architect and I'm not sure which one to go for.

I think I'm leaning towards plan b as we wouldn't need a macerator for the bathroom plus the bathroom is bigger. It also works well for us as the front bedroom will be used as a guest room and then probably ds's bedroom in a few years (he's only 6mo old at the moment) if we stay in the house. we've got a big master bedroom downstairs so don't need the big master bedroom that plan a would give us.

However we may well sell in a few years time, and I'm just worried that people will be put off by one bedroom only having velux windows and that they'd prefer a big master bedroom and small bathroom.

All thoughts and comments are welcome!

boobybum Sat 30-Jan-16 16:53:51

Is the front bedroom the one to the right of the picture?
Are dormer windows a possibility?

Whichplace Sat 30-Jan-16 16:57:58

No it's to the left. No we couldn't put dormer Windows in because of the 'dome' (it's not that but I can't think of the right word!) in the existing roof over the downstairs bay windows, and it would look massively wrong against all the other houses in the terrace.

Afishcalledchips Sat 30-Jan-16 17:05:19

I think I prefer B, but only if that bathroom has a window.

Afishcalledchips Sat 30-Jan-16 17:07:05

I mean even a velux, just to air it and get some natural light.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 30-Jan-16 17:10:55

Plan B.

Whichplace Sat 30-Jan-16 17:11:45

Both have Windows - plan a would be a velux while plan b would be a regular window, albeit a fairly small one

Bertieboo1 Sat 30-Jan-16 17:13:07

I definitely think B. I think the bathroom benefits in B outweigh the extra space by the side of the bed in Plan A.

cece Sat 30-Jan-16 17:13:29

I can't quite see but is that a sloping ceiling to the left of the extension?
I'd rather have the majority of slopy ceiling in bathroom rather than bedroom as where would you put the wardrobes?

Whichplace Sat 30-Jan-16 17:17:47

Yes the left side of the plan would be sloping. Wardrobe space isn't too much of a problem as some of the space behind the door on plan b is full height and we would probably put built in cupboards there.

I'm glad the consensus seems to be plan b. Round our way most conversions seem to be in the same style as plan a, but I personally prefer plan b but was worried it would put other people off.

QOD Sat 30-Jan-16 17:27:52

B
it's not the main family bathroom, if it was, and A meant youd get a bath too ...
but B

QOD Sat 30-Jan-16 17:28:56

And I put it wrong ffs

I meant A

I'd go for A

B looks like it has a load of wasted space

DesertOrDessert Sat 30-Jan-16 17:30:28

I'd have no problems with a bedroom with just velux windows.
How restricted in the head height? If most of the front bedroom in b had restricted height, I might not be too impressed. But then if I couldn't stand up from the toilet in A without thinking about my head, it would be equally off putting. No macerator would be attractive, but not a decision factor.

BYOSnowman Sat 30-Jan-16 17:32:20

So you have a master bed and these two bedrooms or you have other bedrooms?

Plan b gives you a bedroom that your ds will outgrow (I speak from experience here!)

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sat 30-Jan-16 17:34:03

If go for A as well... I'd rather have extra bedroom space than a bigger extra bathroom.

Whichplace Sat 30-Jan-16 17:35:36

At least half the room would be full head height (including where you'd walk in). I've seen one house which has this layout and while it was clearly an 'attic room', it didn't feel like their was a head height issue (and both dh and the house owner are over 6'5).

Good point about head height on the loo in plan a, while dh would only occasionally use it, I know it would really piss him off. Plus the macerator would be directly above our bed which is deeply off putting.

Clearly I've managed to convince myself it's plan b I want, even if it's not for everyone!

NorbertDentressangle Sat 30-Jan-16 17:38:24

Actually I might have changed my mind as I didn't twig that the larger bedroom in Plan B didn't have windows other then Velux.

I think it would be strange having a bedroom without a window to look out of.

Whichplace Sat 30-Jan-16 17:38:27

No we have one other bedroom downstairs that ds is in, however if we have other dc then obviously one of them would need to go upstairs. There is also the option of using the back bedroom which is the same size as most regular bedrooms with full head height. We're going to use it as an study for the time being as I'm studying for a PhD and need space to work at home.

regenerationfez Sat 30-Jan-16 17:44:46

I would have said B but I didn't think of growing out of bedrooms angle. We have a macerator in our toilet. It's less hassle than I thought it would be. It has blocked twice in 6 years, which is irritating, but was easily fixed as our unit has easy access. It cost though, so make sure the kids don't have access to moist wipes, just loo roll and you should be OK!

yomellamoHelly Sat 30-Jan-16 17:45:37

Prefer the layout of b. BUT I would have to be sure it works with wardrobes, chest of drawers etc..... (or I'd regret it).

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sat 30-Jan-16 18:42:13

The bottom plan where the bathroom has a window in the wall albeit a small one and there's no need for a macerator toilet. That would definitely put me off as a buyer, especially in a terraced house. I also have an aversion to bathrooms where the toilet is the focal point right opposite where the door opens (as in the first plan) if that can be avoided at all, it's a big plus point for me.

If you had a good sized guest room in the roof space and another reasonable one, that'd be quite adaptable.

I would also be put off a family home where the master bedroom was in the roof space and DCs needed to be on the floor below. Slightly older DCs up on the third floor would love it, or it makes good guest, work or hobby space.

I've lived in a home with three bedrooms all of which had velux windows and it wasn't a problem at all, the rooms were very light with lots of air, which may have been the most likely criticism. You can also get these if they'd be appropriate at all
www.velux.co.uk/products/roof-windows/balcony-and-terrace
depends on your roofline obviously.

You've got two aspects to consider, what suits you and your family and what will maximize the interest when you come to sell. I think the lower plan fits the bill on both counts.

YaySirNaySir Sat 30-Jan-16 22:08:22

Prefer bottom plan. Macerator in one of our previous homes was very noisy and went off randomly. Plus prefer to have bedrooms with bathroom inbetween -more privacy.

NoMilkNoSugar Sat 30-Jan-16 22:18:11

Plan B. I think a bathroom between the bedrooms is advisable. Also a friend of ours had a sloping bathroom roof and knocked himself out brushing his teeth. The slope was over the sink and he

ouryve Sat 30-Jan-16 22:23:55

Definitely B. The bedroom looks a little more flexible and would have better light. It would probably also have room for an actual bath in the bathroom ;)

That back room isn't really a double in in either though, is it. There's no room for storage.

BYOSnowman Sat 30-Jan-16 22:24:14

could the bedroom in plan b be made a little narrower?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now