Is it worth fitting a new bathroom if moving soon?

(4 Posts)
BoogleMcGroogle Sat 30-Jan-16 07:26:29

We live in a lovely 60's semi in a popular village and have redecorated throughout, plus added a new kitchen. The only room that's left is the bathroom. It wasn't fitted too long ago, but it's not to our taste and a total DIY bodge job; loo not fitted properly, bad tiling, random gaps in floorboards etc. I've endured it for 5 years, but we plan to be here another 3, and will then move because of schools. My concern is that if we fit a new bathroom, it will feel like a waste of thousands of pounds when we move. On the other hand, it would bring the room up to the standard of the rest of the house, making it more sellable.

I've worked really hard to save 3.5k (so we are clearly not talking about a posh new bathroom here) and I'm hoping you might tell me I'll get that back when we sell the house. But maybe not....

wowfudge Sat 30-Jan-16 08:07:41

We had our bathroom (which wasn't dissimilar from the one you describe plus dilapidated shower cubicle) redone in the summer and we are selling now. The money it cost was well worth it imo because it was the kind of bathroom someone would look at, decide needed to be replaced and would automatically start knocking money off the asking price.

You don't have to replace everything - we kept the loo in ours and spent money on a good sized shower, a big double ended bath and tiling.

specialsubject Sat 30-Jan-16 12:48:16

do yourself a favour and fix whatever is wrong with the loo ASAP.

the survey will spot a bodge job (or should!) and then your buyers will start thinking 'what else is wrong?'

don't worry about taste (assuming the suite is white) but it might be worth getting the flooring and tiling done given you are there for some years yet.

Makky3 Sat 30-Jan-16 17:16:19

I would say yes - bathroom and kitchens tend to be a selling point, and i think you will get the money back when you sell.

Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now