Conservatory nightmare

(10 Posts)
thecountrysideistooquiet Fri 29-Jan-16 14:55:01

Hi folks needing advice! 4 months ago we moved into a 70s built house which at every turn is throwing up daily problems that need attention. The most recent one is that it has a large north facing conservatory with polycarb roof above the windows and at the bottom of the windows is covered in black mould, the laminate floor has black mould under the seats and we have moss growing between where the roof bars meet the windows. It is very drafty too confused Our renovating budget has been blown out of the budget as so much is wrong with the house that we were not aware of or were but was played down, can anyone advise of the least expensive to fix our issues? Conservatory was built approx 1997 i think, windows have no vents, half of the windows the glazing has gone and they have condensation inside, it feels damp and windy all the time in there. Looked lovely in the summer when we viewed it no issues at all hmm

HeadDreamer Fri 29-Jan-16 15:02:57

Honestly? Don't spend more on fixing a conservatory. They are useless. Just leave it and don't use it? Save up money for a real extension.

That's what we learned from our last house. We inherited a leaky conservatory. We changed all the windows and got a lovely glass roof. The place is still completely unusable in winter. Very very cold unless we spend money heating it up with a electric heater. We regretted spending the money because it would have been better to use it for an extension.

HeadDreamer Fri 29-Jan-16 15:04:00

But it's great when it comes to selling however. All the viewers commented on how lovely the glass roof conservatory is. We sold in spring.

thecountrysideistooquiet Fri 29-Jan-16 15:56:06

That is what i was thinking HeadDreamer but again we cannot do it straight away as we have just found out the whole house needs rewired sad and just had to have the whole heating system replaced (budgeted for and i bloody love being roasty toasty for the first time in the house grin ) Out of interest what is the approx price difference between doing proper extention vs conservatory? I am thinking extentions with lots of windows are a lot more expensive?

orangina01 Fri 29-Jan-16 20:57:06

We had a similar problem and had a warm roof put on with new windows. It is essentially a normal roof with velux windows built of lightweight materials on conservatory windows and the existing wall. It isn't cheap, ours was £12K for new windows and the roof but it is amazing. Cool in summer and warm in winter. Also north facing. Worth saving up for rather than a new normal conservatory I think.

wowfudge Fri 29-Jan-16 21:03:25

That sounds interesting Orangina - whereabouts are you?

orangina01 Fri 29-Jan-16 21:10:08

Cambridgeshire but you can get them anywhere just need to find a supplier for Guardian warm roof. We used a reputable local window company but got quotes from two others. This explains moat of how it works. www.guardianwarmroof.co.uk/

wowfudge Fri 29-Jan-16 21:41:18

Thank you - sorry to hijack your thread OP.

tinytops Fri 29-Jan-16 21:46:07

We did the same thing- had a "live in" roof fitted. It was expensive- £10k- but included new windows and frames as well and it's been amazing. It's now as warm as the rest of the house and we use it year round, it's essentially become an extension to our kitchen

thecountrysideistooquiet Sun 31-Jan-16 22:32:06

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! We had to clear the furniture out yesterday due to mould under the sofa, I have now turned it into a greenhouse and am going to start growing veg in it grin Hoping to convince dh a few years down the line to rip it down and have a proper extention built as we have discussed extending the kitchen which is pretty small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now