Potters Bar area

(7 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Tue 26-Jan-16 16:15:18

Can anyone tell me which are the best parts of Potters Bar (ie.schools mainly, shops) - it is one of the areas I am considering moving to. Thanks.

Craftycakey15 Sun 31-Jan-16 22:32:19

Bump?

FanDabbyFloozy Sun 31-Jan-16 22:56:21

The best parts are probably those around Potters Bar, like the fabulously rural Northaw and the lovely Brookmans Park. The former doesn't have shops but has a nice pub; the latter has some shops, cafes and a pub. I don't know the state schools apart from the excellent Dame Alice Owen's but there are some private options that are well regarded. Neither areas are as cheap as PB but are lovely.

MimsyPimsy Mon 01-Feb-16 08:24:31

Agree re villages. Do you need to be near the train station? PB has a good train service. Brookmans Park is on the PB line to Welwyn Garden City, but only the slow trains stop there. BP is also v expensive.

Are you looking at primary or secondary schools? Owen's is an excellent state secondary school, but is semi selective, and even if you have v clever children, it's so competitive, it can be a bit of a lottery as to whether you get in. The catchment for the non-exam children is eye-wateringly small.

Craftycakey15 Mon 01-Feb-16 11:04:12

I know the villages around are lovely but we need to live near the train line that goes to Moorgate so Potters Bar (or Cuffley if we have to) is where we are looking. To make it harder my husband wants to live about ten minutes walk to the station. We drove down there yesterday and looked around the roads near Billy Lows Lane - very nice, too expensive luxury houses or small bungalows!

Re schools, it's primary schools we are trying to think about right now. I know Dame Alice Owen's is great and hard to get into but dont know what the other schools (both primary and secondary) are like?

Dancergirl Mon 01-Feb-16 21:27:56

Did you look at Byng Drive or The Walk? Lots of semis there, may be more affordable?

Dancergirl Mon 01-Feb-16 21:29:55

I'm not familiar with primary schools but the two other secondaries in the area are Mount Grace (in Potters Bar itself) or Chancellor's in Brookmans Park. Lots of PB children go to Chancellor's, there's a bus and it's only 10 mins away. Chancellor's used to be ok years ago, not sure what it's like now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now