where to live/what to do now!

(29 Posts)
FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Mon 25-Jan-16 23:14:16

Okay so here's where we are
Hopefully this won't out me!
DP and I are looking to buy our first house together. He's going to be working in Canary Wharf, I'm working in Henley. Have got a DiP of 400,000 but ideally only want to spend 325,000 as want to keep our mortgage payments as close to 1000pm as poss.
The question is where to live, obviously need to be near a main train line into London, I'm a country girl at heart so do not want to live in a city. We'd like a garden and three bedrooms, will we be pushed?!!
is there scope to buy new, or is that a fools errand these days!?
Someone who knows anything please help!
Thanks thanksbrew

TheHouseOnTheLane Tue 26-Jan-16 04:35:50

Surbiton is nice.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54885560.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54369647.html?premiumA=true

Gravesend is only half an hour away from London

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53025653.html?premiumA=true

TheHouseOnTheLane Tue 26-Jan-16 04:37:19

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E1263&maxPrice=375000&minBedrooms=3&googleAnalyticsChannel=buying

Stevenage. Also close. And affordable.

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Tue 26-Jan-16 09:20:36

Thanks guys, these would take DP not long to get to work but me over an hour and 30 mins and some of them on the m25 shockshocksad
Am beginning to feel I will never find a suitable home!!

Twistedheartache Tue 26-Jan-16 09:34:48

Depends what you are looking for but what about Maidenhead or that sort of area. Long journey for your dh to start with but crossrail is on it's way?
Crossrail route in general worth a look coz there are a few smaller more country type villages (Burnham, Iver)

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Tue 26-Jan-16 09:54:28

Try working out your DP's commute from this
www.commutefrom.com and then see where would suit you too?
You don't say if you also need public transport, or would you drive?

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Tue 26-Jan-16 10:01:40

I need to drive I work in the sticks, but DP needs public transport really!

INeedACheeseSlicer Tue 26-Jan-16 10:10:24

I think you ideally want to be near Reading for commutes for both of you, don't you?

There are nice places north of Reading which are on the London line, and close to Henley, but probably south or west of Reading is a bit cheaper. But then you would have to go through or round Reading to get to work.

How about somewhere like Theale? It is quite small, has it's own station within walking distance with some direct trains to London Paddington that only take half an hour (you can change at Reading for more frequent trains too), good links with the M4 junction 12 right there, nice countryside and the Thames very close, not too bad a commute for you either.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Tue 26-Jan-16 10:15:18

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49430461.html

How about something like this. Looks like a nice quiet location and being at the bottom end of your budget maybe you could do a loft conversion at a later date?

CMOTDibbler Tue 26-Jan-16 10:20:38

How about Maidenhead? It will be the end of Crossrail, so eventually direct to CW as I understand

INeedACheeseSlicer Tue 26-Jan-16 10:21:12

Or Buckinghamshire could work. Princes Risborough maybe? Train into Marylebone, then to Baker Street to change onto Jubilee line to Canary Wharf.

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Tue 26-Jan-16 10:40:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Tue 26-Jan-16 13:12:10

Yup fine with driving. smile X

Artandco Tue 26-Jan-16 13:18:11

You can't buy a 3 bed house in Maidenhead for those prices any more

Personally I say go south, how about around Woking area. 50 ish mins to Canary Wharf by train/ tube, 50 ish mins by car to Henley

Sunnyshores Tue 26-Jan-16 16:48:43

You asked about buying a new build. I wouldnt advise it, certianly not on a lsrage development.

You buy at the top of the market (unless you can get a good discount and freebies added). You cant add value to it, when you come to sell there are many all exactly the same. They also tend to be smaller, have smaller plots, lack parking...

You do have a big area to look in and a reasonable budget, you dont sound too fussy, Im sure something will come along. This is supposed to be the fun part!!

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Tue 26-Jan-16 17:03:20

It doesn't feel very fun at the moment, just very very stressful!

Sunnyshores Tue 26-Jan-16 17:14:39

Im sorry.... but the power of MN can help!

Must haves - 3 beds, garden, 10 min drive to a mainline station 50 mins to Canary Wharf and 50 min drive to Henley. Preferably not too urban.

Does it matter about schools? Do you want to do work to it? Any age/style? Do you need a garage? Are there any towns you really do love?

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Tue 26-Jan-16 17:31:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sunnyshores Tue 26-Jan-16 17:34:25

Chiltern Rail to Marylebone and on to Canary Wharf - Princes Risborough, Saunderton, High Wycombe. Nice countryside, but still has big town facilities.

This is modern, no work, walking distance to station. Safe and easy for a first time purchase.
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38759817.html?premiumA=true

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Tue 26-Jan-16 18:22:21

Thank you MNETTERS
Must haves are: no more than 350,000 (hoping won't have to pay that)
Walking distance to a main train line into London.
3 double bedrooms (want space for super king bed in the master)
Garden and
parking for two cars.

The would likes are:
A log fire
Ensuite for master bedroom
Garage
Set over 2.5 floors

INeedACheeseSlicer Tue 26-Jan-16 19:49:41

Didcot?

Have to admit, I didn't know what 2.5 floors meant (and still don't, really)

Lots of houses in your budget in Didcot, and it's a busy station, lots of trains to London Paddington. Half an hour's drive to Henley.

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Tue 26-Jan-16 22:43:33

Cheeseslicer that's the new build I went to see today!! Only it's not built yet, won't be till oct/Nov time. Gardens are small, and there's 30% social housing in the estate.
Kinda puts me off, even though I know it shouldn't!

Sunnyshores Wed 27-Jan-16 11:31:54

30% is quite high, 20% seems to be the norm. Also depends what they mean by social housing. Some may be right to buy, where the tenants are infact 50% owners waiting to buy the other 50%. Also, the social housing could be flats not houses and flats are unlikley to be plonked in the middle of the houses, although perhaps more problematic than family housing.

loooopo Sat 30-Jan-16 21:40:55

Would look around Wendover - beautiful countryside upmarket historic town/village......if you want more space then head a bit further north to Stoke Mandeville/Aylesbury or towards Tring.

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Sun 31-Jan-16 00:17:32

I have another question regarding properties!
Found a house we both like. It's on for 350,000. Been on market since mid December. 3-bed semi in Didcot. How much would be a good first offer?
Ta xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now