does this paragraph in my rental contract mean that I only have to give one month's written notice?

(6 Posts)
Stylingwax Mon 25-Jan-16 13:42:39

I had a six month rental contract on my house which ended last October. The Landlord and I verbally agreed that I would stay but avoid using the letting agent to draw up a new contract 'to save all the fees' (Landlord's preference). This suited me as I wasn't sure how long I would want to stay. I understand that I am now in a periodic tenancy and that the terms of the original contract remain valid, but as I pay rent monthly (last day of the month), I have to give one month's notice to leave (which would be this week as I want to leave at end of Feb).

But when I was starting to write my letter to the Landlord I realised I'm not quite sure what the last sentence below means? Am I right on the one month's notice?

If the Landlord agrees to allow the tenancy to become periodic and the Tenant accepts the offer then should the Tenancy become periodic at the end of this fixed term of the Agreement then the Tenant acknowledges that he must give the Landlord not less than one month's written notice which must also expire on the last day of a period of the continuation tenancy.

Can anybody help?

specialsubject Mon 25-Jan-16 16:36:48

well, yes, that's what it means - and as you are on a rolling tenancy the notice from you to him is one month anyway. His to you is two months.

this is actually in total accordance with England/Wales law. Good grief, a landlord that does it right. How will MN cope? smile

sootica Mon 25-Jan-16 16:39:30

Yes that's right with notice running from the rent due date. So if you pay your rent on the last day of the month, make sure your landlord has received your notice before then and will expire at end of Feb

Stylingwax Mon 25-Jan-16 16:43:30

I won't tell anyone smile
Very good landlord, feel a bit mean only giving minimum notice but I had a baby two weeks ago and whenever there's something to discuss he does like to have many lengthy conversations about it, family, the weather etc, so I've kept my head down smile

specialsubject Mon 25-Jan-16 19:49:35

write a letter with your notice. Job done.

JeffDjevdet Tue 26-Jan-16 17:12:20

Seems fine, one month and you can quit, pretty standard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now