House Valuation - tenant

(6 Posts)
badaboom Wed 20-Jan-16 20:22:37

My landlord is wanting to have the property valuated and I've already arrange for next wednesday with the estage agent.

Any idea as to what will the process be like? Do I need to tidy and clear everything away? I was in the middle of de-cluttering my piles of belongings as part of my new year resolutions (blame konmari) with boxes all over the place when I got the letter so the house is a untidy. If I need to make it very presentable, I may have to postpone the viewing. Do they need access to all rooms including cellar, storage room, etc? My storage room is a little bit like Monica (Friends) hiding her clutter. Will they need to take photographs?

Is this an indication that my landlord is considering selling the property or maybe a rent increase?

Thanks.

specialsubject Wed 20-Jan-16 20:58:46

you don't have to allow this at all, and you certainly don't have to tidy up.

guessing this probably means a sale coming (new regulations means lots of landlords will be selling up, fewer rental properties, higher rents..) but until you ask, you won't know.

make sure you know your rights:

www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-rent

LadyMercy Wed 20-Jan-16 22:28:40

I agree with special subject, you do not have to allow this, so you might want to ask what it's for, so you have a heads up.

It might be a tax valuation, or secured lending valuation, so not necessarily bad news.

On the subject of inspection, I'm afraid they will probably want to see in each room. They might want to take measurements and photographs, but I would think you could ask for external photos only as everything in the house is yours.

badaboom Wed 20-Jan-16 22:54:58

Thank you. That's a relief to know about the tidying. I'll just make sure they've got easy access. I've got tons of item to sort out mainly books which needs to be done slowly and am a bad packer hence so many boxes. So far I've found £60 in them books which I've used as bookmarks. The letter stated that it's for insurance purposes, etc. and it's a corporate landlord. I'll go ahead with the valuation next week which will spur me to get rid of more stuffs.

gruffalocake2 Wed 20-Jan-16 22:57:12

We had this whilst renting. The agent said it was for insurance reasons or something but of course it wasn't and they sold. It was very annoying and caused us a lot of needless expense. No need to clean but I found I couldn't let someone poke around without a tidy up!

Choughed Wed 20-Jan-16 23:04:06

I'm a LL. My mortgage company has forced me to carry out valuations every 5 years or so on my BTL properties, so it's not necessarily about selling up.

I wouldn't expect my tenants to make any special effort and I would accompany the valuer to make sure they didn't bother them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now