massive subsidence mistake?

(4 Posts)
Dumdiddlydum Wed 20-Jan-16 12:30:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lalalonglegs Wed 20-Jan-16 13:08:06

The best thing you can do is call out the surveyor who did the initial survey and ask him/her to have another look because of your concerns. I was once told by a structural engineer that only diagonal cracks in brickwork or cracks at "weak points" in a building - door frames/windows being the obvious culprits - are serious but I'm prepared to be disproved on that. Hairline cracks in plaster - especially if it is newly done - shouldn't cause a great deal of anxiety, they're often caused by the house warming up and cooling down as the weather changes.

So, try not to worry but, given the history of your house, it's worth your while having this checked out (it should be free as the survey was recent).

buymeabook Wed 20-Jan-16 13:19:59

Try not to panic. Hairline cracks are very common, and often can't be attributed to anything in particular.

I think you need to get a structural engineer to have a look. The underpinning should have a warranty on it and if you contact them they should send someone to check. A lot of the time the causes of cracks can't be identified until they become significant, so it may end up that you need to monitor the cracks. (At my work we've been involved in monitoring a property for a number of years, where we go back every 12 months and have a look at what has changed, but that wasn't one that had underpinning).

jevoudrais Thu 21-Jan-16 10:28:39

Our house had quite a few cracks inside/on the render, believed to be from historical movement but I still notice more as time goes on. It's a 1920's house, some of it has been replastered and some hasn't, the ceilings have a few cracks, some of which previous owner repaired. Having spoken to someone in the trade and our surveyor we were told it will happen in houses of this age and usually, unless there are big gaping cracks that you can slot pound coins into or bigger, then it really shouldn't be anything to worry about.

In your situation I would try and get hold of the surveyor who did your survey and ask his advice, maybe send some photos by email if he will have a look that way. Hopefully it's not a big issue and is just an old house thing. Have you got neighbour's who might know more/also be underpinned?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now