Tenant & Fridge delivery

(11 Posts)
LondonSuperTrooper Wed 20-Jan-16 08:05:48

Just a quick question please. My tenant has informed me that the fridge in the flat is not working. DH has looked at it & decided to buy a new fridge.
The tenant is now telling us that it's not his responsibility to accept the delivery of the fridge as he doesn't own the flat. And that he's too busy to take time off work.
When I was a tenant I had to take time off for gas safety checks & be there to let the handyman in for any repairs that needed doing around the house.
So my question is whose responsibility is it to accept the delivery of the new fridge?
Thanks.

Koala2 Wed 20-Jan-16 08:19:48

Yours. Can you arrange a compromise eg weekend delivery?

SusannahD Wed 20-Jan-16 08:24:14

Its your responsibility, like other poster said weekend delivery might work for him but you can't expect him to take time of work for this.

LondonSuperTrooper Wed 20-Jan-16 08:45:59

Thanks for your quick replies. How about repairs around the flat? I'm really interested to find out as previously I've always been told that it's my responsibility as the tenant.

PragmaticWench Wed 20-Jan-16 08:59:35

If you are landlords you really need to know your responsibilities. Check out Landlordzone for that and tenant rights. You may get good advice here but knowing for certain is a good idea.

specialsubject Wed 20-Jan-16 11:42:17

Repairs are the responsibility of the landlord!! If the tenant has caused damage, then they may end up paying, but landlords fix stuff.

check out the how to rent booklet on gov.uk.

wowfudge Wed 20-Jan-16 11:59:03

Unless it is an emergency a landlord has no right of entry to a tenanted property. If the tenant refuses to allow a tradesperson access and doesn't give permission for you or someone you have instructed to go in when they are not there then there is not a lot you can do. However, I would hope that the relationship would not have deteriorated that much and a solution can be found.

SauvignonPlonker Wed 20-Jan-16 16:31:57

I wouldn't expect a tenant to take time off work for deliveries. Having been both a landlord & a tenant, I think it's unfair to ask tenants to wait in for safety checks, tradesman etc. It's fine if the tenants work part-time & it could be arranged for days off, or at weekends.

I have waited in myself for repairs in the property. I would be really annoyed if a landlord asked me to wait in & I had to take time off work.

It's one of the many reasons why I have a letting agent manage my property now.

specialsubject Wed 20-Jan-16 16:37:52

wowfudge as always is right. Although there can be reasons other than LL/tenant argument why you don't get let in, even with pre-agreed trades there.

fortunately it all worked out in the end. But if it hadn't - no right of access.

as for the fridge; offer the tenant options of weekend delivery, timed evening delivery or you/the agent waiting for it to turn up, with access allowed. If they want a fridge they'll have to let you do one of those, if they don't - no fridge!

lovefairylights Wed 20-Jan-16 16:43:59

Your responsibility to take delivery of the fridge.
Again if you need to do repairs on the flat it is not the responsibility of the tenant to take time off to enable it - its your responsibility.

But then there's a lot to having a good working relationship with a tenant that makes life easier for both parties. In your fridge scenario, I would expect the tenant wants their new fridge asap - so I would chat with them to find out their days off and if they will accept delivery, then pay extra for a weekend/out of hours delivery asap as it can be to my advantage to not have to be there and the tenant gets their new fridge sooner than the date I am available to turn up and take delivery.

Good communication and some understanding can go a long way in maintaining a good landlord/tenant relationship. Funnily enough all of mine have stayed with me much longer than their initial tenancy periods which I put down to communication and remembering what its like to be a tenant with a nightmare landlord.

cestlavielife Wed 20-Jan-16 17:28:05

ao and others will deliver weekends and evenings. after taking time off for cooker which didn't arrive til next day i have arranged with ll for any deliveries to be evening or weekend - this may involve more cost of delivery of course

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now