does anyone know Forest Gate and Hither Green/Lewisham

(37 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Sat 16-Jan-16 12:42:33

We were pretty settled on moving to Hither Green/Lee/Lewisham this year - visited it lots and love it.

But watched Location the other day and it seemed that in Forest Gate you get even more for your cash.

Does anyone know both and could offer me a comparison?

WhatKatyDidnt Sat 16-Jan-16 13:02:26

HG/L/L are (I think) more mixed socially and economically than FG. Hillier and nicer parks. Better shopping areas. Lots of transport options.

Forest Gate seems more deprived. Very flat. Wanstead flats are fab but quite different to the little parks with playgrounds that you may prefer if you have young kids. Cross rail at manor park will be a massive plus I guess.

Personally on balance I prefer the s e areas.

RiverTam Sat 16-Jan-16 13:06:17

Do you mean Forest Gate in East London or Forest Hill in SE London?

LaurieFairyCake Sat 16-Jan-16 13:14:55

Forest Gate in East London - I've only seen it from watching Location and using street view. It does look more deprived on street view - but only 12 minutes to Liverpool Street - Kirstie on location said it was expected to go up 40% in next 4 years and picked it as a regeneration top spot. Because of Crossrail.

I can afford a house there. Or a flat (similar size) in Hither green.

No young children, mid 40's adventure grin

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54396719.html

Like this house

WhatKatyDidnt Sat 16-Jan-16 13:26:48

Lovely looking house, but (sorry) Romford Road is less than lovely!
Mid 40s adventure sounds good...
I think there are pockets of loveliness in FG and I know people that think is great but it is quite different to SE London. Pay a visit while the sun is shining and you'll see it at its best

rubyflipper Sat 16-Jan-16 13:29:50

Forest Gate is cheaper for a reason. And Romford Road aint pleasant. Plus you'll have traffic going past your house at all hours.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 16-Jan-16 13:37:17

Could you be really specific about 'less than lovely' and not the nicest ? grin

I'm quite keen on the 'traffic at all hours' and very busy as I'd like to convert the garage to a wee shop

I appreciate it looks very er... minging with no coffee shops, nice delis, no signs of gentrification - but I think those might arrive in 5 years

In the last 25 years I've missed out on Clapham, Balham, Brixton, Putney, Hackney, Shoreditch and Chiswick (!) as they've all been rejected as scuzzy areas by the previous idiot I was married to - all those places are way way out my budget now and if I'd moved there then I'd have a house worth a million plus

I'm keen not to fuck this up. So if you think forest gate is too down at heel to take a punt on, I'll listen

WhatKatyDidnt Sat 16-Jan-16 13:50:35

Hmm. Forest Gate is becoming more popular with those priced out of Hackney, Walthamstow etc. I expect it will go the way of Walthamstow, ie island(s) of expensive and trendy businesses and houses, surrounded by a sea of serious urban deprivation. It probably does fit the "up and coming" bill more than SE.
To get the full Romford Rd experience, sit on a no 25 bus from Stratford to Ilford.

WhatKatyDidnt Sat 16-Jan-16 13:51:30

Ps agree that that garage looks a great opportunity!

WildeWoman Sat 16-Jan-16 14:05:29

I lived in East Ham (near Forest Gate) and Hither Green.

Hither Green has fuck all in it, but has a 'newer' look to it. Lewisham has at least got rail links. Do you drive?

I really liked East Ham. Close to Westfield in Stratford.

Where do you work? Will you be using public transport or car? Hither Green was a bit of a bollox commuting-wise. Infrequent overground, which goes to London Bridge. On one occasion, two 'city' types were fined lol for not having swiped their oyster cards, as they hadn't noticed the well hidden swipe yokes as you enter the station. They were joking with the conductor/fine fella, that they thought it was a deserted station from the 18th century.

Alternative was to bus it to Lewisham and get overground into city there.

If I were you, personally, unless you're posh, I'd probably go with Forest Gate. If you're posh, you probably wouldn't like it.

rubyflipper Sat 16-Jan-16 14:11:26

Agree with advice to take a 25 bus from Stratford to Ilford. grin
I'm Forest Gate born and bred. Still have family there. It will take more than the odd coffee shop to tempt me back.
It's run-down and squalid. There have been issues with prostitution on Romford Road.
If you decide to move there, treat it as a short-term move. And then sell to others who fell for the Phil & Kirsty hype.
Feel free to PM me about advice on specific streets.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 16-Jan-16 14:14:07

Is now the time to say I've never been on a bus blush - well, not for 30 years. And I've no idea how London buses work as I tube in.

I am also a total fearty woos, pretty unnerved by crime, don't really want to get the shit kicked out of me. That's got much worse over the years as when I was younger I lived in some very dodgy cities and towns.

I suspect I have a distinct lack of street smarts.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 16-Jan-16 14:17:00

The reason I love hither green/Lee/Lewisham is that it's 12 minutes to Waterloo (where I change for my job in west London)

I also like the walk up to Blackheath (my favourite area that I can't afford) and down to Greenwich - I really like walking and that hour walk is my favourite.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 16-Jan-16 14:17:25

Yes, I drive a lot - we've got 2 cars.

WildeWoman Sat 16-Jan-16 14:19:43

Hmmm - I'd say go for Hither Green/Lewisham so. It has more of a feel like you're in an English 'town', whereas the East end feels very London city!

Hard to describe really.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 16-Jan-16 14:20:24

I think you're all describing that more gritty, urban feel well grin

WhatKatyDidnt Sat 16-Jan-16 14:24:46

Sounds like hills, greenery and views are important to you... You will find greenery in East London, but no hills or views.

It would be extremely unlucky to be attacked <anywhere> in London, so I wouldn't worry about that.

JoJoCK Sat 16-Jan-16 14:28:00

I know Forest Gate very well, my Mum worked in a school there for over twenty years and still has friends there and I think you should avoid it. It just isn't a great area and I can't see it improving massively.
I also don't think is a great location for commuting to West London, even with Crossrail.

rubyflipper Sat 16-Jan-16 14:31:13

The Crossrail is a bit of a red herring. FG had always had excellent rail links to the City and West End.

IShouldBeSoLurky Sat 16-Jan-16 17:47:45

We've just bought in Blackheath/Lee and I'm super excited about it. I think Lewisham is absolutely poised to go whoosh in terms of gentrification and relative to other areas that haven't yet it is so close to central London. Longer term we've got the Bakerloo line extension coming which will help further. Have you looked at the roads between Lewisham station and Hilly Fields? There were still some affordable doer-uppers there. Or have you considered Deptford? The Lewisham end as opposed to the Surrey Quays end has some lovely streets of Victorian houses.

Don't know FG at all, sorry.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 16-Jan-16 18:46:35

There's so little on the market between lewisham and hilly fields - only one 2 bed and the gardens too small for me. Nothing on at all in Deptford.

I'm pretty keen on lewisham/Lee/hither green though - have you moved in yet? And did you live in the area already ishouldbeso?

hydrangea78 Sat 16-Jan-16 20:24:57

I agree the Blackheath to Greenwich walks are lovely and I think its worth moving to the area if you enjoy walking but still need to be central. What about Charlton? Can still easily get to the above areas on foot.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 16-Jan-16 20:58:09

Yep, looking all along the maze hill/westcombe park/charlton road

There's one I like near westcombe park station

Dogadviceneeded Sat 16-Jan-16 22:11:51

I spent a while wandering around forest gate while house hunting last summer. Forest gate "village" and the woodgrange estate conservation area (basically north of the house you linked up to the flats) is very nice and quite gentrified with some nice independent cafes at the junction of serbert road and woodgrange road. Romford road itself, however, is pretty rough feeling and I personally wouldn't live right on it. I really recommend having a walk around the areas at different times of day and seeing how you feel. (We ended up buying in Leytonstone). Hope that helps & good luck!

ConesOfDunshire Sat 16-Jan-16 23:52:04

I don't think you'll feel safe in Forest Gate. Hither Green and Lewisham are really lovely.

If / when FG does gentrify I suspect it'll go hip and trendy with people priced out of Hackney / Dalston, rather than family-friendly like Stoke Newington, meaning that it will retain some grit for a long time.

If you want a real adventure which will make you some money, look at Thamesmead. Abbey Wood is getting Crossrail and I anticipate that it will be transformed. Currently quite isolated and lots of problems on the giant housing estate, once a bold vision of the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now