Are vented tumblerdriers better than condensers?

(12 Posts)
TeaPleaseLouise Thu 14-Jan-16 13:00:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Copperkettle Thu 14-Jan-16 13:09:05

We just bought a new one and had this dilemma.
In the end we got vented as so much cheaper and with a condenser we woul r really get the money back for a long time. Plus easier not to have to empty it. I already spend my life emptying various dehumidifiers.

Lordamighty Thu 14-Jan-16 13:09:38

I had a vented one & now I have a Miele condenser which I absolutely love. Dries just as well as the old vented one. Expensive to buy though.

Florin Thu 14-Jan-16 13:09:58

Yes we had a condenser as someone gave it to us and it was in a cupboard so only option. We moved and our tumble dryer packed up but there was a hold in the wall for a vented one so we bought a vented one. It was significantly cheaper than a condenser, it is more economical and quicker. I am so pleased the old one broke now as the new one makes my life so much easier.

Cressandra Thu 14-Jan-16 13:40:28

Last time I checked (and it was ages ago), the vented ones used significantly LESS energy than the "A+" rated condensors. It makes perfect sense to me, they do less work. So less to go wrong, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, faster drying time. Complete no brainer based on my limited knowledge.

Look at the actual energy consumption figures, not the rating.

PigletJohn Thu 14-Jan-16 14:42:05

vented are much simpler, so they are cheaper to buy and have less to go wrong.

The latest heat-pump driers use much less electricity, but are very expensive to buy. I calculated that it would take me years for the economy to repay the purchase price, but if you have to dry a lot, and get a long guarantee, it may be worthwhile for you.

MissBattleaxe Thu 14-Jan-16 14:46:01

Will a vented cause more condensation? Ours is vented and the tube goes outside but it still creates condensation in the Futility Room. We were thinking of getting a condenser to solve the problem.

PigletJohn Thu 14-Jan-16 15:15:07

There is something wrong, then. Perhaps the tube is split, or not correctly sealed into the hole in the wall.

Florin Thu 14-Jan-16 15:18:44

Our vented is in our utility room and we don't notice any condensation at all. In fact it is better than our condenser which used to make the utility room so hot and I felt sorry for the dog who has her bed in there but now with the vented one it doesn't make it any warmer.

MissBattleaxe Thu 14-Jan-16 16:35:25

Oh PigletJohn- no wonder we all think you're a star. Thank you. I thought it was normal.

Adsss Thu 14-Jan-16 17:29:48

Our tumble drier is near enough the sink that we have rerouted the water outlet down the drain instead of the tank. Yay no more emptying it.

TeaPleaseLouise Thu 14-Jan-16 18:07:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now