Help! Damp/mould in brand new conservatory

(3 Posts)
Onsera3 Wed 13-Jan-16 16:48:21

We had a conservatory build in late summer. It rained a great deal during construction.

Has one full wall, one dwarf wall and one side mainly doors. The walls were rained on a lot after insulation was added and before roof.

The plastering was done before the glass for roof was fitted and before any floor was added so they had to cover with tarp.

It seemed to be a series of various guys sent around and I feel like things were perhaps not done in the best order? The plastering being done when the ground was still bare earth seemed odd.

The plaster on the tops of the walls crumbled in before completion and so a upvc plate like covering was added.

As soon as cold weather came in Autumn it felt very damp. Now I can see what I assume is rising damp coming up. Mould has grown on the bottom 15cm of the walls and the plaster seems warped and is flaking. I can see mould between the floor boards and some of them seem to be coming unlevel.

They have sent a builder round and he thinks the spouting needs to be directed away from conservatory and said a seal can be added here and there. Said should have been sealed under doorway on outside.

But I think the whole thing is a bit of a disaster and am worried they might be offering bandaid type fixes for what I am scared might be a bigger problem. It feels riddled with damp.

Any ideas what should be done? I feel like I need an independent expert opinion round to look and to say what should be done but am clueless about where to find such a person and how much they would charge.

Any advice gratefully accepted!

wowfudge Wed 13-Jan-16 19:15:34

I am no expert but how can you plaster what becomes an internal wall while the place is open to the elements? The whole thing will need months to dry out if it was built in the rain and it's kept on raining.

When you say floorboards, do you mean the flooring is laminate or engineered wood?

Onsera3 Wed 13-Jan-16 19:23:30

Yes the plastering was an alarm bell for me- but I was eight months pregnant at the time and am quite clueless about construction type things.

It's laminate flooring. It was smooth when just put down but now feels like the ends are lifting.

I feel like a need a third party around because I feel like if they couldn't be trusted to do it right, how can they be trusted to correct it properly? I have no idea where to start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now