Planning frustration

(10 Posts)
Suzietwo Wed 13-Jan-16 14:17:15

Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do to speed up a planning decision. Its for a loft conversion so hardly craziness. Went in on 5 September. The architect is in touch with them and they keep saying 'next week next week' and im told to pipe down as it wont help

but

SO ANNOYING

Bohemond Wed 13-Jan-16 14:20:00

Contact your local Councillor

Suzietwo Wed 13-Jan-16 14:23:00

ive been told it will antagonise the planners which is a BAD IDEA

Seeline Wed 13-Jan-16 14:24:46

That seems excessively long for a straight forward application. Have there been any problems with the application - had to resubmit plans or anything?
I would ring the Council myself and see what the hold up is. If you can't get anything from the Officer, ask to speak to their superior. Speak to the local Councillor too. Keep ringing every few days to chase. As an ex-Planning officer, there is nothing more annoying than that - really encourages you to get a move on grin
Legally, the Council should determine applications like this within 8 weeks - if they don't you have the right to appeal against 'non determination' to the Planning Inspectorate. However, that can take even longer.

whatevva Wed 13-Jan-16 14:24:49

Yes definitely local councillor. They are supposed to know the way the council works.......... Mine is brilliant. (Although we have 2 of them and the other is a chocolate teapot.)

Seeline Wed 13-Jan-16 14:25:09

Who told you that Bohemond?

Seeline Wed 13-Jan-16 14:25:47

Sorry not Bohemond - Suzietwo

Suzietwo Wed 13-Jan-16 14:26:40

Thats helpful seeline. What about what my architect is saying that heaping pressure on is more likely to get a 'no' outcome.

On 5 Nov they said "The application will be recommended for approval and processed within the coming days."

She then left the dept and it was left with her superior who doesnt seem to have looked at it.

Seeline Wed 13-Jan-16 14:32:01

Ah - staffing issues. Never an easy one.

I never understand these claims that planning officers refuse things out of spite, or because they don't get on with certain architects etc. Applications have to be determined in line with published policies, and reasons for refusal should refer to any unacceptable breaches. If those do not exist, then the application will not be refused. That will only lead to appeals being lodged whish will further increase the work load of over-stretched officers confused

I think you should chase superior and see where the application has got to - be polite, but you are quite within your rights given the time taken, to be displeased. If you have no luck, then definitely approach your Councillor.

whatevva Wed 13-Jan-16 14:52:01

There is no need for pressure - my local councillor just has a friendly chat to see where things are at. It improves communication. If there is a problem causing delay, you can then withdraw it and reapply. If it is a standard sort of application, they will approve it anyway, as they do not like to go to appeal. Everything they do should stand up to appeal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now