having to heat hot water

(9 Posts)
hilbil21 Sun 10-Jan-16 22:13:17

Hi folks wondering if you can help.

My mum passed away in November, leaving her house to me, and myself my fiancé and ds have moved in. There's a almost brand new Honeywell boiler and new central heating system but I need a bit of advice. Wherever I have lived before has had the type of system where you turn the got tap on and hot water comes out. Here, you need to heat the hot water before there is any. I'm sure my mum used to put it on for an hour before she needed shower/dishes doing etc but this can often be quite a pain! Others that have this do you leave the hot water part of the controls on all the time? Is it expensive? Or am I just going to have to accept it needs switched on before we can have a shower etc (very annoying especially when you are going out early etc) one other question. If I've had it on today for instance, and don't use all the hot water, will the water still be hot for a shower in the morning?

Sorry I'm so clueless xx

Pipbin Sun 10-Jan-16 22:42:29

In my old house I had a timer. It would come on for an hour before I got up and then an hour in the evening.

hilbil21 Sun 10-Jan-16 22:43:13

Yeah there's a timer. I really need to get to grips with that too lol x

PigletJohn Mon 11-Jan-16 09:44:46

I think you mean you have a gas boiler and a hot water cylinder. Honeywell do not make boilers, but they make timers, programmers and thermostats.

What colour is the cylinder?

Spanglecrab Mon 11-Jan-16 09:53:44

First of all I'm sorry about your Mum flowers

Two very common honeywell two channel programmers

www.honeywelluk.com/documents/full-specification/pdf/807.pdf

www.honeywelluk.com/documents/User-Guide/pdf/871.pdf

If it isn't one if these then attach a pic and I'll get back to you.

The idea is to time the hot water to be on from shortly before a demand is likely until after the demand is finished. The water will then stay quite hot in the interim.

hilbil21 Mon 11-Jan-16 11:53:39

Pigletjohn would the hot water "tank" be in the attic? If so its grey X

hilbil21 Mon 11-Jan-16 11:54:27

Thanks spanglecrab it's the second one I will have a read xx

Spanglecrab Mon 11-Jan-16 12:01:13

If is grey and in the loft it's unvented. Piglet johns favourite!! smile

In terms if heating the water it makes little difference. Have a read of the PDF. This unit allows hit water to switch hot water heating on and off up to three times a day.

specialsubject Mon 11-Jan-16 12:51:45

sorry about your mum.

a hot water tank does have advantages (especially if you know a power cut is coming!) and will also give better pressure. You need to plan ahead a bit with a timer, set to heat the water when you need it - e.g. for evening or morning bathing, whichever you do.

once the heating has stopped, as you draw off the hot water the tank will refill with cold. So for reduced bills, don't do little bits of washing up! Do it in chunks once or twice a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now