Howdens kitchens - buying one single door

(9 Posts)
sparechange Sun 10-Jan-16 12:37:13

I've got a Howdens kitchen, installed before we moved in
The pile of crap integrated Lamona dishwasher (Howdens own brand) doesn't close properly, so the door panel has become warped and swollen from the steam escaping every wash, and the gloss finish has blistered.

I'm getting a new integrated dishwasher and want a new door front but according to their website, they only sell to builders.

I don't want to pay a builder to install the dishwasher and put on the new door front, and presumably they aren't going to buy one for me without a hefty premium to cover their time.

Is there a way around this? I don't want a freestanding dishwasher...

StillRunningWithScissors Sun 10-Jan-16 12:42:50

Not sure if it's true, but a friend told me that anyone can go in and set up a trade account with them. Maybe have a look in their site, poke around to see if they have info on what you need to set up an account?

Very frustrating, and a big reason why I'm not considering how debs when we redo our kitchen.

Good luck

StillRunningWithScissors Sun 10-Jan-16 12:48:23

Had a quick google, apparently it is very easy to get a trade account set up according to this thread

Maybe call and say you'd like to set up an account, and see what they say. Could easily set up your own letterhead etc. Most builders seem to create their own stationary, so not tricky. :-)

StillRunningWithScissors Sun 10-Jan-16 12:49:31

stationery even blush

sparechange Sun 10-Jan-16 12:52:51

Thanks Scissors, that's really helpful
I'm racking my brains to think of anyone sorts of tradespeople amongst our friends but they are all softy office types!

StillRunningWithScissors Sun 10-Jan-16 22:52:59

Really frustrating, especially since you didn't choose the kitchen to begin with. I'd give it a go calling and just say you'd like a trade account. They might not care if you actually are an installer, it's still a sale for them. Good luck

dumpylittlepixie Mon 11-Jan-16 21:12:34

Hi spare

We have a Howdens kitchen too and we have found spare doors on ebay.
Hope this helps.

sparechange Tue 12-Jan-16 16:21:34

An update!
I phoned my local branch and explained the problem
They started off saying they couldn't help at all if I didn't have a trade account, then said they could give me the number of a builder who could buy it on my behalf. I said that I wasn't prepared to pay a premium to buy a door, especially when the reason I need one is because their own brand crappy appliance has ruined the existing one.
They then said that if it was just for one door, I could come down and they would sell me one directly.
I've just been and they wanted my name and address, and then let me collect it there and then.
Happy that common sense has prevailed with them (£65 for one door though?! Seems a bit steep...)

StillRunningWithScissors Tue 12-Jan-16 17:33:38

Wonderful! Glad you have your new door :-) does seem pricey, but I don't really have anything to compare to.
:-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now